Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Cake Recipes (Frostings)
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting (Gluten-Free)
Chocolate Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting (Gluten-Free)
Photo: CC/Rachel from Cupcakes Take the Cake)
I never had a desire to eat cupcakes, until I went gluten-free. And now that I can't eat them, I crave them like crazy. Of course, it doesn't help that cupcakery's are popping up everywhere as the new food craze. This is a cupcake recipe that is free of most common allergens. It is gluten-free, nut-free, corn-free and vegan. To also make this beet/cane sugar-free I will be experimenting with this recipe using agave syrup in place of sugar. While I don't drink coffee, I am a sucker for coffee flavored sweets. However, if you are not a coffee fan, you can replace the coffee with chocolate, vanilla, or some other flavor that you prefer.
To make cupcake batter, whisk together the following:
- ¾ rounded cup sorghum
- ¾ rounded cup tapioca starch (you can also use potato or cornstarch)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Egg Replacer, mix with ¼ cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- Beat the batter for a full two to three minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the batter into the cups and smooth the tops.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven till done-approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- Frost when completely cooled.
- 1 ¾ cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 ounces cold coffee, as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Starting with a small amount of liquid, beat the sugar to mix in the shortening, coffee and vanilla. Add liquid as needed.
- Beat until smooth.
- For a thicker frosting add more confectioner's sugar.
- Chill the frosting before using it, approximately 1 hour.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Raw Cheesecake (Gluten-Free)
Raw foods are increasing in popularity with health food enthusiasts everywhere for their health benefits and the divine recipes.... [READ MORE]
Pumpkin Cake (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Valerie Wells.... [READ MORE]
Flourless Chocolate Cake #3 (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Diana Brown.... [READ MORE]
Pineapple Velvet Cake (Gluten-Free)
A double recipe makes a two layer (9) cake
and 24 cupcakes! Frost it with a seven minute boiled icing.... [READ MORE]
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity