Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Brazilian & South American Recipes
- Crispy Plantain Patties (Gluten-Free)
Crispy Plantain Patties (Gluten-Free)
Plantains are commonly used for cooking in most tropical regions. Under ripe plantains or green plantains have a starchy texture, whereas overripe plantains have a sweeter taste; both are delicious. This recipe works best with green plantains, and it is dairy, egg, corn and gluten-free.
Crispy Plantain Patties (gluten-free)
Makes about 4 large patties
- 3 cups mashed small green bananas (approximately 4 plantains)
- ½ Cup Gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- cooking oil
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 3 green onions chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup gluten-free soy sauce
- Do not peel the plantains yet. Cut off plantain ends and make cuts along the side by scoring the plantain.
- Boil in large pot for approximately 20 minutes with peels (until you can poke a fork through them).
- Drain and let cool.
- Remove peels and mash plantains.
- Add flour and baking powder to plantains to create a dough.
- Roll into four balls and then into 5” patties on a floured counter or cutting board.
- Combine cashews, lemon, soy sauce, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a small amount of cooking oil in a skillet over medium and fry cakes until golden brown.
- Add nutty filling and veggie toppings to each patty and serve hot.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with a side of beans and rice for a traditional Puerto Rican meal.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Marinated Chicken Hearts with Smoked Sea Salt (Gluten-Free)
Marinated chicken hearts are a common menu item in many bars in South America, especially in Brazil.... [READ MORE]
Sautéed Plantains with Honey Butter (Gluten-Free)
"Platano" is a Spanish word for the fruit we Americans know as the plantain.... [READ MORE]
Brazilian Cheese Bread (for rolls, pizza and crackers - Gluten-Free)
Ingredients:2 cup Tapioca Flour (or starch - same thing)1 tablespoon Baking powder¾ teaspoon Salt1 cup Finely grated Cheese (I use Pecorino Romano for rolls and pizza.... [READ MORE]
Brazilian Potato Biscuits (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Paula Santos.... [READ MORE]
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity