Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Cake Recipes (Frostings)
- Strawberry Shortcakes (Gluten-Free)
Strawberry Shortcakes (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Homemade strawberry shortcakes remind me of being a kid. I loved eating the strawberry shortcake while the homemade biscuits were still warm. This recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for real strawberry shortcake, not the spongy kind you buy at the store, but the southern home-style kind. Of course, good luck finding gluten-free strawberry shortcakes this good anywhere else. This recipe is gluten-free, nut-free and egg-free.
Strawberry Shortcakes (Gluten-Free)
Serving size: Makes 9 shortcakes
Strawberry Topping Ingredients:
- 3 baskets organic strawberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar- to taste
- Remove the stems from the strawberries. Slice into thin (¼ " to ⅛") slices. Put into a large bowl.
- Add sugar and mix into the strawberries.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- After the strawberries have been sitting for about 30 minutes, take a fork and mash them a little- just enough to get more juice out of them.
- Small box whipping cream
- 2 drops gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- Whip the cream thoroughly.
- Add two drops of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of sugar, or to taste.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ Tablespoons gluten-free baking powder
- ⅔ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ⅓ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix with a fork to blend.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a fork until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Combine the cream and vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened and just combined. It will be dry and choppy. Gently knead by hand to create a loose ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly gluten-free floured cutting board and pat it into an 8-inch square, ¾ to 1 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment, cover with plastic and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oven to 425ºF.
- Remove the dough from refrigerator. Cut the dough into 9 even squares and spread them about 2 inches apart from each other on the baking sheet.
- Bake until the biscuits are medium golden brown, approximately 20 minutes
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Flourless Chocolate Cake (Gluten-Free)
This flourless gluten-free chocolate cake recipe will impress you and your guests! Easy and delicious, you cannot go wrong with this recipe!Ingredients1 package Chocolate Candiquick (16 oz.... [READ MORE]
Cocoa Butter Cream Frosting (Gluten-Free)
6 tablespoons butter, softened
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
¾ cup sifted confectioners sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
Cream the butter until it is fluffy.... [READ MORE]
Flourless Chocolate Cake #3 (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Diana Brown.... [READ MORE]
Lime Cheesecake (Gluten-Free)
The following recipe comes to us from Phil Walker.... [READ MORE]