Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Quick Cotija Cheese and Avocado Dip for Tortilla Chips (Gluten-Free)
Quick Cotija Cheese and Avocado Dip for Tortilla Chips (Gluten-Free)
I'm a sucker for traditional guacamole. But, believe it or not, I know a number of people who don't like onions, and a few who don't like tomatoes, so making traditional guacamole is out of the question for them.
If you know anyone who likes avocados, but shies away from traditional guacamole, try this.
This simple and quick recipe makes a great dip to serve with tortilla chips, and has won over even my pickiest friends.
- 1-1½ ounces of Cotija cheese
- 1 or 2 ripe Avocados
- 1 lemon or lime wedge
- 1 or 2 sprigs of cilantro, optional
- 6-8 ounces of good tortilla chips
Slice and dice avocados and place into a bowl.
Squeeze lemon or lime juice over avocados. This will help to keep them from turning brown in the unlikely event that the bowl does not get emptied quickly.
Crumble cotija cheese and gently fold together with the avocados.
Garnish with cilantro sprigs. If you like cilantro, then consider chopping some up and placing it in a bowl next to the avocado/cotija mixture. Add more or less avocado or cheese to suit your taste.
Serve alongside a bowl of chips and your favorite salsa.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Fish with Beurre Blanc and Avocado Salsa Verde (Gluten-Free)
Before outdoor grilling becomes a casualty of summer's end, I thought I'd offer up one more great gluten-free grilling recipe, with two delicious sauces.... [READ MORE]
Just Like Wheat Tortilla Recipe (Gluten-Free)
Developed by Monica Poole of Debys
2 cups tapioca flour
1 cup Debys gluten-free biscuit mix
2 tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
½ cup milk or soy milk
Separate for rolling: ½ cup Asian sweet rice flour
Combine dry ingredients except rice flour into a bowl.... [READ MORE]
Salsa Chicken (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Nancy Haehl.... [READ MORE]
This recipe comes to us from Jack and Laurie
Tepe.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity