Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Fish Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Fish Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Good fish tacos almost always deliver happiness at the table. These fish tacos are easy to make and sure to please. The recipe is versatile, so scale and/or improvise as desired.
- 1½ pounds skinless tilapia, or other whitefish fillets
- 2 large avocados, (one will be served as garnish)
- Juice from 4 fresh limes (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 small bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño chile (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- ½ medium red onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 cups of green or red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a blender, combine avocado, one-third of the cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Transfer into a small bowl, and set aside. Add more lime juice and/or water as needed.
Combine the cabbage, onion, and one-third of the cilantro in a large bowl and squeeze a lime half over it. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Heat tortillas individually in a pan over medium heat. Heat each tortilla until soft and transfer onto aluminum foil. Wrap until serving time.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and two jalapeño halves over medium-high heat; swirl to coat bottom of pan.
Season fish on both sides with ground cumin and coriander, salt and pepper.
Cook fish in two batches (starting with larger pieces) until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard jalapeño. Add a splash of additional oil as needed.
When fish is done, place into warm tortillas, top with salsa verde and serve with cabbage, onion mix and garnish of lime, green onion, radish, cilantro, avocado, crumbled cotija cheese, and additional salsa as desired.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa (Gluten-Free)
In response to a request to add some low-fat, diabetic-friendly recipes to the mix, I offer this recipe for grilled fish tacos with fresh watermelon salsa.... [READ MORE]
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
These tacos come together so wonderfully in part because of the vibrant, contrasting colors of the salsa and shrimp.... [READ MORE]
Grilled Fish with Beurre Blanc and Avocado Salsa Verde (Gluten-Free)
Before outdoor grilling becomes a casualty of summer's end, I thought I'd offer up one more great gluten-free grilling recipe, with two delicious sauces.... [READ MORE]
Grilled Pork Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde (Gluten-Free)
These grilled pork tacos are quick, easy to make, and delicious.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity