Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, etc.
- Gluten-Free Pudding Recipes
- Lemon-Cinnamon Rice Pudding (Gluten-Free)
Lemon-Cinnamon Rice Pudding (Gluten-Free)
Celiac.com 02/18/2014 - Rice pudding is one of my perennial favorite desserts. This version fuses arborio rice with citrus, cinnamon and a dash of creamy mascarpone cheese to achieve a kind of rice-pudding nirvana.
- 1 strip lemon peel, plus ½ teaspoon grated zest
- ⅓ cup golden raisins or dried currants
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups organic whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 real cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- ½ cup Mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- ½ cup dark rum
Soak raisins in dark rum overnight, or for at least and hour or two.
In a saucepan, combine the lemon peel, 2 cups water, the butter and a pinch of salt.
Bring to a boil. Add the rice and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, bring the milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon sticks and vanilla to a low boil.
Add the rice and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring, until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in the grated orange zest and ¼ cup Mascarpone.
Transfer the rice pudding to a large bowl and let cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold and set, about 2 hours.
Beat the remaining ¼ cup Mascarpone and the confectioners' sugar in a bowl.
Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peel.
Spoon into bowls. Top each with a dash of cinnamon, a small pile of rum-soaked raisins, and a dallop of Mascarpone. Serve.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Vegan Chocolate Cashew Fondue (Gluten-Free)
Vegan Chocolate Cashew Fondue.... [READ MORE]
Chocolate Chip Soy Milk Ice-Cream (Gluten-Free)
In honor of the July 1st creative ice-cream flavors day, I decided to post a gluten-free, dairy-free ice-cream recipe.... [READ MORE]
Butterscotch Pudding Mix (Gluten-Free)
2 cups nonfat dry milk
5 cups brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups cornstarch
and store in airtight container.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity