This tomato soup is loaded with veggies and is delicious sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- 3-4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked gluten free quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen kale or spinach
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup shredded fresh Parmesan
- Melt the butter in a large pan on medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions and carrots are beginning to get tender.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, quinoa, basil, and oregano. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, then add the kale or spinach. Cook another 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk, and simmer gently for about 5 minutes more.
- Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth, or transfer the soup in batches to a blender. It can also be left chunky.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with the Parmesan.