Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free American, British/UK Recipes
- Ten Best Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing Recipes 2014
Ten Best Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing Recipes 2014
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 12/17/2014 - Along with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing is the foundation of any great holiday feast. To my way of thinking, if there’s no stuffing, it’s just another meal.
This year, Celiac.com offers up our favorite recipe for classic holiday stuffing, along with nine more gluten-free stuffing recipes that are guaranteed to help you deliver a delicious gluten-free holiday meal.
Classic Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing
- 5-6 cups white, gluten-free bread (about 2 loaves), cut into one-inch cubes, toasted and cooled (I use Udi’s or Rudi’s)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1-1½ cups gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Add bits of cooked sausage or bacon, diced chestnut, pecan, apple, cranberry, currant, or raisin, as desired, but make sure any sausage is gluten-free!
Sauté shallots, onion and celery in olive oil on medium-low heat until translucent.
Stir in the rosemary, sage, and thyme, and cook another one or two minutes, until the aroma of the herbs fills the air. Add wine and continue cooking over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Bring the chicken stock to boil on high heat. Note: If cooking stuffing inside turkey, add just 1 cup of chicken broth.
Place the egg yolk in a large bowl and carefully spoon two or three ounces of the chicken stock into the egg yolk, slowly, while whisking the mixture.
Add the rest of the chicken stock to the egg mixture. Make sure to blend a small amount of stock into the egg first to prevent scrambled eggs.
Add the cooled celery, onion, and herbs mixture into the stock and egg mixture. Toss the bread cubes into this mixture and coat thoroughly. Add the salt and pepper and mix.
Place the stuffing mixture into a greased casserole dish and cook in 400°F oven for 40-50 min, covering as needed with aluminum foil, until done.
Note: The stuffing is done when you can insert a toothpick into the stuffing and it comes out clean. Make sure you bake stuffing until the toothpick comes out clean.
Serves about six to eight people. Scale recipe according to amount of stuffing required.
PLUS: Here are Nine More Recipes for Great Gluten-free Stuffing:
- Brown and Wild Rice Savory Mushroom Stuffing
- Rice Stuffing with Apples, Herbs, and Bacon
- Best Gluten-free Holiday Stuffing Recipe
- Chestnut, Wild Rice, and Pistachio Dressing
- Gluten-free Bread Stuffing with Herbs
- Gluten Free Holiday Stuffing
- Whole Foods Market Classic Gluten-free Stuffing
- Food Network Classic Gluten-free Stuffing
- Rudi’s Bakery Gluten-free Stuffing Mix
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Salmon with Honey Ginger Glaze (Gluten-Free)
This glazed version is one of my many favorite ways to enjoy salmon.... [READ MORE]
Steamed Lobster (Gluten-Free)
Want to make an easy romantic dinner that will fill the house with wonderful aromas? Try this recipe for steamed fresh lobster.... [READ MORE]
Olive-Stuffed Chicken with Creamed Mushrooms (Gluten-Free)
I’ve always loved a combination of kalamata and green olives in this dish because their tart saltiness plays nicely against the rich, creamy mushroom sauce.... [READ MORE]
Vegetable Beef Stew (Gluten-Free)
This gluten-free version of classic beef stew is easy to make and sure to satisfy the heartiest eaters.... [READ MORE]