Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Super Southwestern Bean Dip (Gluten-Free)
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com 01/06/2015 - This recipe makes a tasty, festive multi-layer bean dip that will have your guests smiling and asking for more. The recipe is pretty flexible, so feel free to adjust ingredients to suit your tastes and desires.
- 2½ cans refried beans
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled
- ½ cup of tomato salsa of choice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) gluten-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free taco seasoning (see recipe below)
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced black olives, drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped w/ seeds removed
- Tortilla chips
Mix salsa into bean dip and spread over a large serving plate.
Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning; spread over the bean layer.
In a small bowl, mash avocados with lemon juice, salt and pepper; spread over sour cream layer.
Sprinkle with cheese, and top with olives, onions and tomato.
Serve with tortilla chips.
Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
Mix ingredients in a bowl and place in a jar to use as needed.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Lemon Watermelon Coolers (Gluten-Free)
Looking for a winning summertime drink that will please the kids and put a smile on the faces of your grown-up guests?
This recipe delivers tasty, refreshing lemon-watermelon coolers that also happen to make good mixers for grown-up drinks.... [READ MORE]
Kale and Swiss Chard Stir Fry (Gluten-Free)
There is a variation on this tasty recipe using Rainbow Swiss chard and pine nuts on my Web site.... [READ MORE]
Mixed Green and Roasted Beet Salad with Gorgonzola, Pear and Arugula (Gluten-Free)
Gorgonzola is a veined Italian blue cheese, made from unskimmed cow's and/or goat's milk.... [READ MORE]
Spring-time Cole Slaw (Gluten-Free)
I guess I'm what you'd call a coleslaw purist.... [READ MORE]