Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Italian Recipes
- Gluten-free Pasta with Easy Pesto Rustico
Gluten-free Pasta with Easy Pesto Rustico
Celiac.com 04/03/2015 - Want to make one of the easiest, cheapest, tastiest dinners in the world? Try this brilliant pesto sauce.
The high price of pine nuts sent me scrambling for a pesto recipe that wouldn’t break the bank. This recipe delivers an easy, rustic, yet delicious take on an Italian classic.
- ½ pound gluten-free pasta of choice (I use Schar)
- assorted fresh vegetables, sliced and steamed
- 1½ cups fresh basil leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon butter, as desired
- 4 ounces grated Romano cheese, as desired
Roughly chop basil, and put into a small bowl.
Add garlic and stir in olive oil with a fork.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Allow pesto to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes or so. Basically, I let it sit until the pasta and any vegetables are cooked and ready.
Clean, cut and steam vegetables, as desired.
Cook gluten-free pasta as per instructions until al dente. When done, strain, but do not rinse. Stir in butter, as desired.
Drizzle pesto over pasta and vegetables. Top with grated Romano cheese.
Traditional pestos mix the cheese into the sauce, but I find that for this version, it works better to add the cheese afterward.
Also, feel free to get creative with how you eat the pesto. You can drizzle it on some fresh chopped tomatoes and use top toasted gluten-free bread for a nice bruschetta.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Spaghetti with Fried Lemons (Gluten-Free)
Every so often a recipe comes along that I just have to try.... [READ MORE]
Grape n’ Tuna Pasta Salad (Gluten-Free)
Grape n’ Tuna Pasta Salad just in time for the warm spring weather here is a perfect picnic meal.... [READ MORE]
Italian Style Winter Soup (Gluten-Free)
Rich soups are a winter staple in many parts of Italy.... [READ MORE]
Muffaletta Sandwich (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Eileen Plichta.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams