Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Mexican Recipes (Spanish)
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Celiac.com 06/10/2015 - These grilled shrimp tacos are just the thing for the grill. They are sure to be a big hit at your next barbecue or party. They go great with your favorite rice and beans.
For the Salsa:
- 2 shallots
- 1 jalapeño pepper, quartered and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
For the Shrimp:
- 1½ pounds large or extra large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sal y limon
- dash cayenne pepper
- 8 - 10 six-inch corn tortillas
- About 2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonaisse
- Red pepper hot sauce, to taste
For the Salsa:
Finely chop shallot, jalapeño and garlic. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, avocado, salt, lime juice and cilantro and stir to mix well.
For Zesty Yogurt Sauce:
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, red pepper sauce to taste with a dash of lime.
For the Shrimp:
Heat grill to medium.
In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and shrimp. Stir until shrimp are well-coated.
Coat the grill with vegetable oil or non-flammable cooking spray.
Place shrimp on grill and cook until just white and orange, about 1½ to 2 minutes each side. Cover to keep shrimp warm.
Grill the tortillas until warm and slightly charred, about 20 seconds per side.
Spoon avocado salsa generously over warm tortillas, then top with 3 shrimp, cabbage and drizzle with zesty yogurt sauce. Serve lime wedges on the side.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Grilled Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa (Gluten-Free)
In response to a request to add some low-fat, diabetic-friendly recipes to the mix, I offer this recipe for grilled fish tacos with fresh watermelon salsa.... [READ MORE]
Fish Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
Good fish tacos almost always deliver happiness at the table.... [READ MORE]
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa (Gluten-Free)
These tacos come together so wonderfully in part because of the vibrant, contrasting colors of the salsa and shrimp.... [READ MORE]
Grilled Pork Tacos with Avocado Salsa Verde (Gluten-Free)
These grilled pork tacos are quick, easy to make, and delicious.... [READ MORE]
Jefferson Adams is a freelance writer living in San Francisco. His poems, essays and photographs have appeared in Antioch Review, Blue Mesa Review, CALIBAN, Hayden's Ferry Review, Huffington Post, the Mississippi Review, and Slate among others.
He is a member of both the National Writers Union, the International Federation of Journalists, and covers San Francisco Health News for Examiner.com.View all articles by Jefferson Adams