Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
- Gluten-Free Recipes
- Gluten-Free Recipes: American & International Foods
- Gluten-Free Indian and Middle Eastern Recipes
- Hari's Cabbage and Carrot Side Dishes (Gluten-Free)
Hari's Cabbage and Carrot Side Dishes (Gluten-Free)
1 - 2 medium small heads
Carrots - 2 or 3 small bags
mustard seeds: a teaspoon and a half
Urad dal (dried lentils): 1 teaspoon
Channa dal (another kind of dried lentil): 1 teaspoon
Dried red chilies: 1 - 2, broken into pieces
Chili powder: a heaping teaspoonful
Turmeric: a teaspoon
Salt: to taste
Chop cabbage coarsely (carrots into little pieces) and set aside. In a large pot, heat about 4 or 5 tablespoons of canola oil; toss in a few mustard seeds to test; when they pop, toss in the rest of the mustard seeds and cover the pot. When all seeds have popped (about 45 seconds), throw in the dals and dried red chilies and sauté until they all turn brownish. Toss in your chopped cabbage (or carrots) and stir it about so oil and fried stuff are all evenly distributed. Then throw in chili powder, turmeric, and salt; again turn cabbage over so spices are evenly distributed. Cook over low heat until cabbage or carrots are done (cooked yet crunchy) - should take about 25 minutes. Be sure to stir every 5 or 6 minutes to ensure that the cabbage (or carrots) does not stick to the bottom or burn.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Curried Potatoes with Chickpeas (Gluten-Free)
I love a good, rich, zesty curry.... [READ MORE]
Chicken Korma with Saffron (Gluten-Free)
Indian food is one of my all time favorite foods.... [READ MORE]
Gluten-Free Naan / Roti - Indian Flat Bread (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Arvinder Malhotra.... [READ MORE]
Lamb Curry (Gluten-Free)
This recipe comes to us from Francis Chu.... [READ MORE]
I'm passionate about the English language and writing. My other interests include politics & public policy, history, sports (MLB, soccer and cricket, in particular), pop culture and screw-ups by right-wing nuts.
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity