Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
No popular articles found.
Dr. Murali Jatla
Dr. Murali Jatla is a pediatric gastroenterologist at the Children's Hospital at Scott & White Hospital in Round Rock and Temple, Texas. He was a former fellow at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and helped to start the Celiac Center at CHOP, where patient care, clinical research, nutrition and education occur in a multidisciplinary manner.
This study investigated the effect of screening detected celiac disease in type I diabetic children in a multi-center case-control fashion. The research team consisted of B Rami, Z Sumni, E Schober et al from Austria, Czech Republic, and Slovenia, among other European countries. The team compared 98 diabetics with silent celiac disease to 196 control diabetics without celiac matched for age, sex, diabetes duration. Mean age at diabetes diagnosis was 6.5 yrs, celiac diagnosis was 10.0 yrs. HbA1c, hypoglycemia, ketoacidosis, insulin dosage, body-mass index, and height did not differ between cases and controls. After diagnosis of celiac disease, weight gain was diminished in boys with celiac disease compared to their controls.