Do You Have Celiac Disease and Have Questions Or Need Help?
Join Celiac.com's forum / message board and get your questions answered! Our forum has nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS just waiting to help you with any questions about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. We'll see you there!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
SP Wholesale Meats Recalls Sausage Products Due To Misbranding and an Undeclared Allergen
- By Scott Adams
- Published 05/22/2015
In 1994 I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which led me to create Celiac.com in 1995. I created this site for a single purpose: To help as many people as possible with celiac disease get diagnosed so they can begin to live happy, healthy gluten-free lives. Celiac.com was the first site on the Internet dedicated solely to celiac disease. In 1998 I founded The Gluten-Free Mall, Your Special Diet Superstore!, and I am the co-author of the book Cereal Killers, and founder and publisher of Journal of Gluten Sensitivity.
SP Wholesale Meats, a Portland, Ore., establishment, is recalling approximately 1,729 pounds of raw pork and chicken sausage products due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The product contains wheat, a known allergen which is not declared on the product label.
The following products are subject to recall:
- 10-pound boxes with 4 oz. and 2 oz. links of CASCADE FARMS “Chicken Apple Sausage” with a lot number of 079.
- 1-pound packages with 4 oz. links and bulk of DON FELIPE’S TOLUCAN BRAND “Chorizo Verde” with a lot number of 084, 097, 104, 111, 113 and 118.
- 1-pound packages with 4 oz. links and bulk of DON FELIPE’S TOLUCAN BRAND “Chorizo Rojo” with a lot number of 104, 111, 113 and 118.
- 1-pound packages with 4 oz. links and bulk of DON FELIPE’S TOLUCAN BRAND “Chicken Chorizo” with a lot number of 079, 098, 112 and 119.
The products bear the establishment numbers “EST. P-2886” and “EST. 2886” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to restaurants in Oregon and Washington.
The problem was discovered when SP Wholesale Meats received an e-mail notice of an FDA recall involving Oregon Spice Co. due to the presence of wheat/gluten. The oregano was recalled due to the presence of wheat that was formulated into the sausage products.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall can contact Charlie Ryan, President, or Jim Register, General Manager, at 503-234-0579.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).