This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Do You Eat?

DutchGirl

mushroom Proficient

Boosts?  Never heard of them before.  Looked them up :rolleyes: :

"Green tea, guarana and ginseng with 120mg of natural caffeine." :unsure:   Don't need that kind of boost - thru the roof???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Boosts?  Never heard of them before.  Looked them up :rolleyes: :

"Green tea, guarana and ginseng with 120mg of natural caffeine." :unsure:   Don't need that kind of boost - thru the roof???

No. I think she means Boost meal replacements. Like Ensure.

Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

No. I think she means Boost meal replacements. Like Ensure.

Oh, that's better :)   That Jamba Juice is pretty juiced up :blink:

Monklady123 Collaborator

I also just discovered those Go Picnic things at my Target. They're pretty good, and it's more food than you'll think when you first open the box. I sometimes take one to work if I'm in a hurry, along with a banana and some carrots or something like that.

You didn't really define what "out and about" means. For me there are several versions of that. One is that I'm out for a few hours, shopping or seeing a museum or something. For that I always take a bar of some kind -- Lara, or Glutino cereal bar -- some nuts, and some dried fruit.

For a road trip I take a cooler. Yogurt, cheese, sliced chicken breast, hummos and veggies....depends on where we're going and whether there's a refrigerator on the other end. Usually there is because I always get one at hotels.

For airplane travel this is a whole different story. The last time I went on a long flight I packed in my checked baggage: peanut butter in individual packs (Costco sells a large box of these), some Go Picnics, dried fruit, and nuts. In my carry on I had the peanut butter (in my quart-sized ziplock, along with a small toothpaste and small hand lotion which were the only other things that needed to be in there), dried fruit, nuts, a Go Picnic, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat/cheese roll-ups, fruit, and yogurt (also in the ziplock bag). I was prepared for the airline meal to be horrible and it was. :ph34r:

And for whoever mentioned the upcoming Israel trip...there's a thread over in the travel forums on this site that talks about Israel. I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I commented on that thread about my experiences. There will be plenty to eat and the hotels will be more than accommodating. (still take a few things of your own of course, especially for lunches out.)

DutchGirl Apprentice

I also just discovered those Go Picnic things at my Target. They're pretty good, and it's more food than you'll think when you first open the box. I sometimes take one to work if I'm in a hurry, along with a banana and some carrots or something like that.

You didn't really define what "out and about" means. For me there are several versions of that. One is that I'm out for a few hours, shopping or seeing a museum or something. For that I always take a bar of some kind -- Lara, or Glutino cereal bar -- some nuts, and some dried fruit.

For a road trip I take a cooler. Yogurt, cheese, sliced chicken breast, hummos and veggies....depends on where we're going and whether there's a refrigerator on the other end. Usually there is because I always get one at hotels.

For airplane travel this is a whole different story. The last time I went on a long flight I packed in my checked baggage: peanut butter in individual packs (Costco sells a large box of these), some Go Picnics, dried fruit, and nuts. In my carry on I had the peanut butter (in my quart-sized ziplock, along with a small toothpaste and small hand lotion which were the only other things that needed to be in there), dried fruit, nuts, a Go Picnic, hard boiled eggs, lunch meat/cheese roll-ups, fruit, and yogurt (also in the ziplock bag). I was prepared for the airline meal to be horrible and it was. :ph34r:

And for whoever mentioned the upcoming Israel trip...there's a thread over in the travel forums on this site that talks about Israel. I went there a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. I commented on that thread about my experiences. There will be plenty to eat and the hotels will be more than accommodating. (still take a few things of your own of course, especially for lunches out.)

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!

A lot of times I am gone all morning running errands and just need a few things as a pick me up. But other times we are gone for the whole day and fast food just isn't an option.

Welda Johnson Newbie

Hmm, some of my replies aren't showing up.....

I was telling my grandson yesterday that I had had the Playmate Ice Chest I carry with me for 20 years, and it really makes life easier.  I can only eat fruits and vegetables because of serious food allergies, so it is a challenge.  I take orange juice in small containers with a twist-off lid, and even eat frozen orange juice with a spoon.  Pickles are good to take.  I take green salad mixed with a topping of sauteed garlic, green onions & mushrooms, and some Walden Farm's mayonnaise.  Walden Farms products have no calories, carbs or protein, and there are syrups; jams; marshmallow, chocolate & caramel toppings; salad dressings and dips.  You can see the selection on the internet at Walden Farms.  Corn tortillas work and any soy product that doesn't contain wheat.  So many of the "vegetarian" replacement products have "vital wheat gluten."  Rice or soy ice cream is a possibility if you keep the ice chest really cold.  I also eat Vegan Gourmet soy cheese, but only the mozarella.  The others have someting in them that bothers me.  At Trader Joe's you can get "This is not a tub of sour cream, this is a tub of non-dairy spread."  Food for Life makes gluten free English Muffins.  Purely Decadent makes vanilla soy ice cream bars covered with chocolate.  And I found the best veggie burger the other day at Jimbo's Market--called "Hilary's Veggie Burger."

So good.   I make meatless enchiladas, tacos or tamales, and sometimes have a small serving of rice or beans.  Fresh fruits & vegetables with dip and cooked vegetables that were leftover from other meals also work.   I've been eating gluten free & milk and dairy free since 2000.   Best wishes to you!

mdonohue20 Newbie

I find that if you can heat it, making a lot of gluten free pasta, or rice, is good when you're going to work or something. I unfortunately work in a sandwich shop, so I always have to make sure to pack dinner. I also love dried fruit and chocolate rice bars to snack on. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I would like to find a food co-op around here, I've heard great things! I never thought about hard boiled eggs, that would be easy to pack! Where did you get your 12 volt oven??

A camping store, or on the internet.  Kool=tron lunchbox was my first.  My second was a Burton. I was thrilled that it could heat to 350 F It conked out way too soon, but mine got bumped around alot, so perhaps that wrecked it. 

CeliacInSenegal Rookie

Raw almonds, an apple, and hard cheese are some of my go-to's to carry around when out. When I have time and need more food, I'll pack a salad with homemade dressing, some precooked chicken and veg, and maybe a yogurt. I also find a scoop of whey protein powder to mix with water can be good in a pinch, such as on long plane rides or when stuck late at work.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

anything that will go in tupperware or a zip-bag and won't spoil too quickly. Instead of sandwiches I'll often make rice balls wrapped in roasted (unseasoned) seaweed, or guacamole/hummus and chips. Fruit, nuts, cooked meats, etc etc. Anything you can eat with your fingers.

For longer trips, taking a cooler with foods and staying somewhere with a small kitchen or at least a microwave is a good idea.

And always have a Larabar or something on you. Even though I usually forget to replace my emergency purse stash.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I second riceballs! those are so good :)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

anything that will go in tupperware or a zip-bag and won't spoil too quickly. Instead of sandwiches I'll often make rice balls wrapped in roasted (unseasoned) seaweed, or guacamole/hummus and chips. Fruit, nuts, cooked meats, etc etc. Anything you can eat with your fingers.

For longer trips, taking a cooler with foods and staying somewhere with a small kitchen or at least a microwave is a good idea.

And always have a Larabar or something on you. Even though I usually forget to replace my emergency purse stash.

Ooh, how do you make your rice balls? Just plain rice or do you add something to make them stick?

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ooh, how do you make your rice balls? Just plain rice or do you add something to make them stick?

Get it to sticky rice consistancy.

Go on youtube and watch some onigiri recipes.

My favorite is from cookingwithdog:

Be warned they use gluteny things, but you can substitute and watch how its formed.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

ooh those look good.

Get yourself some sushi rice. Cook it (not too much water!). Add a tablespoon or so of rice vinegar and mix in. Let it sit until it cools off.

You can mix stuff in with it (preferably before it cools off) or you can stuff it with stuff.

Usually I use half a sheet of nori, spread out some rice, put the stuff you want in it on top (not too much) and roll-er up (like a mini sushi roll!)

And the stuff can be cooked. Doesn't have to be raw like sushi.  I put a lot of random things in nori.

(sorry, my cooking methods are highly unscientific)

meatslayer Newbie

I always travel well stocked with these products nutritional shakes and bars.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

ooh those look good.

Get yourself some sushi rice. Cook it (not too much water!). Add a tablespoon or so of rice vinegar and mix in. Let it sit until it cools off.

You can mix stuff in with it (preferably before it cools off) or you can stuff it with stuff.

Usually I use half a sheet of nori, spread out some rice, put the stuff you want in it on top (not too much) and roll-er up (like a mini sushi roll!)

And the stuff can be cooked. Doesn't have to be raw like sushi. I put a lot of random things in nori.

(sorry, my cooking methods are highly unscientific)

Thanks!

We have a family friend who is Korean (and has moved) and she made the best rice balls. I want those rice balls. Now.

And my son loves sushi, and rice....

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I don't know where you'd get them, but one of my Korean students once gave me this triangle mold to make onigiri with. You put the mold in the middle of the nori sheet, some rice in the mold, then the stuffing in the middle, them more rice. take of the mold, and fold up the nori into a cute sandwichlike triangle!

I think this thread has morphed into something for the cooking forum...

shadowicewolf Proficient

Thanks!

We have a family friend who is Korean (and has moved) and she made the best rice balls. I want those rice balls. Now.

And my son loves sushi, and rice....

My Japanese professor made the best onigiri. I don't know what she put in them (chicken, anko (Open Original Shared Link), and something else) but they were to die for.

Archived