This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question For People With Casein Intolerance As Well As Celiac...

josh052980

josh052980 Enthusiast

I thought I was having lactose intolerance issues to milk only, so I started on Lactaid milk, and was still having issues. I dropped the milk out in favor of Silk almond milk this morning, and my issues are already gone. As far as I know I can eat cheese, butter, cream, etc with no issues. Can I have a casein issue and it only effects me with straight milk? Has anyone else stumbled on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

If it was casin, I believe all of those would effect you. Thats how my understanding works.

josh052980 Enthusiast

That's what I thought as well, but all symptoms I had when on even the Lactaid milk disappeared even after just one day with it. I feel like a new man. It's really bizarre...

nicolebeth Apprentice

I personally eat butter just fine. The problem is when I start eating more than just a very little cheese. I think that casein is worse in things like milk and cheese, and is minimal in butter (a fat).

Denine Newbie

My daughter has both a casein and a whey intolerance.  The whey is the liquid, the casein is the solid.  Hard cheeses would have next to now whey in them, but milk has plenty,

cavernio Enthusiast

My daughter has both a casein and a whey intolerance.  The whey is the liquid, the casein is the solid.  Hard cheeses would have next to now whey in them, but milk has plenty,

I have never heard the difference between casein and whey being liquid and solid. However, whey and casein are separate things but both are proteins in milkd.  I've read articles that seem to be calling whey casein and vice versa. The wikipedia article on lactose intolerance says that lactose is water soluble but not fat soluble, so it's not found in high quantities in things like butter.

I've heard that ghee (if made extremely carefully) is supposed to have no casein, but consists of whey as well as fat. You can also buy whey (not sure how pure) for body building powders and such. You could test eating whey only and see what happens. I've known people with whey allergies specifically.

However, I suspect that the broken down lactose is still bothering your system. A little reading and I found that lactose breaks down into glucose and galactose. Galactose seems to only come from milk, and of course, as in digesting anything it seems, there's some sort of transport mechanism for both absorbing glucose and galactose, which will likely be damaged.

Any brand of lactose free milk I've seen just has lactase added to it, so that the lactose is already broken down. This is not the same as in pure dairy fat because the lactose will have never been there in the first place, (I don't think) so you don't have to worry about glucose or galactose in them.

Open Original Shared Link there exist diseases where the intestine can't absorb glucose or galactose, so it seems entirely plausible for celiacs to have issues with this too.

(aside, 10% of the population have glucose digestion issues???!)

I had diarrhea issues with lactose free milk too (and I never had D with any sort of regularity before being gluten free, so it was pretty obvious it was the milk), although I strongly suspect I have issues with all dairy too. Body temp fluctuations, feel like I'm almost getting sick, swollen dry tongue, but I'm not about to test that with absolute certainty anytime soon as I'm still restricting my diet more as I still don't feel better.

mushroom Proficient

Lactaid works for some people and not others.  It initially worked for me, but eventually I had to eliminate milk, cream, ice cream, frozen yogurt, while still being able to tolerate those foods which were cultured (yogurt), high fat / low lactose (butter) or where the lactose was consumed by enzymes (cheese).  I can now eat all dairy again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived