Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know if methilyn (brand name of Ritalin) is gluten free?

I take my prescribed 10mg dose to help me focus through my swim practices (too many numbers to keep track of) and university courses. I've always had a bit of a reaction to them but I thought it was just my IBS: I get mild spasms when I take it on an empty stomach or too soon after breakfast. I haven't been able to sort out my IBS symptoms from Celiacs, though I think they're connected. I've been totally gluten free for a little over a week and because of the head fog clearing, I haven't felt like I've needed my meds but I took them today to tackle my huge to-do list and I had a minor spasm attack so I'm just wondering if it could be my meds. 

Thanks. 

Call the company that produces it. They should know.

It's a generic so there's no company. Would the pharmacist know possibly? The internet was being unhelpful... at least with my current attention span  <_<

Ask the pharmacy you got it it from for the name of the manufacturer. Sometimes they will have a phone number or email for the company.

Prescription medications seldom contain gluten. Where a generic is concerned, it is not possible to give an answer since different manufacturers may use different inactive ingredients. If it is a pill (tablet/caplet), a binder is required to hold it together. The most common one is corn starch.