This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cause Of Leaky Gut?

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star

I was watching Christina Pirello, formerly of Christina Cooks on her new cooking show.  She was talking about GMO foods.  She said that they found that when bugs ate GMO corn, their stomachs exploded.  She said upon further investigation with humans, when they eat GMO foods, their stomachs do not explode but get minor spots of damage sort of like cracks or lesions and then the food that we eat can leak out.  I can't remember exactly how she phrased it but it sure sounded like leaky gut to me! 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I was watching Christina Pirello, formerly of Christina Cooks on her new cooking show.  She was talking about GMO foods.  She said that they found that when bugs ate GMO corn, their stomachs exploded.  She said upon further investigation with humans, when they eat GMO foods, their stomachs do not explode but get minor spots of damage sort of like cracks or lesions and then the food that we eat can leak out.  I can't remember exactly how she phrased it but it sure sounded like leaky gut to me! 

That does not surprise me at all,,,,saddens  me but does not surprise me

stri8ed Rookie

I gotta disagree with that. If gmo was truly the cause, then the majority of the USA would be suffering from leaky gut. Clearly there its something more at play.

The most implicated cause of leaky gut is gluten consumption, when eating by those genetically sensitive. For more info, google zonullin and gluten connection.

cavernio Enthusiast

Bt corn kills corn borers by interacting with a bacteria in the gut of the corn borer which then kills it. If that bacteria isn't present the corn borer doesn't die, but that bacteria is pretty much always present in them.

If you include rates of 'new' diseases like IBS, depression, anxiety, Crohn's, fibromyalgia and CFS (the last 2 have research that strongly suggests gut bacteria getting into the bloodstream as a cause) there's definitely SOMETHING causing it. I would not be surprised is Bt corn or some other food alteration were an important factor. Right now though I'm pretty sure no conclusive evidence exists, and a lot of it is speculation.

I think all celiacs diagnosed via biopsy will have leaky guts though anyways, as stri8ed says, and it because of celiac disease. I suspect that that's why so many of us can live so long with super damaged villi myself...there's no active transport of nutrients, but the gut just lets everything in.

• 3 weeks later...
ValeriaZ Rookie

gluten (increases zonulin production, zonulin dissolves gut cell junctions)

yeast (candida) when it mutates to mushroom form

antibiotics, NSAIDs

• 2 weeks later...
cahill Collaborator

I gotta disagree with that. If gmo was truly the cause, then the majority of the USA would be suffering from leaky gut. Clearly there its something more at play.

and what is to say the majority of the USA is not suffering from leaky gut???

It would truly  surprise me if the majority of people that consume GMO on a regular  basis  did not have leaky gut

stri8ed Rookie

and what is to say the majority of the USA is not suffering from leaky gut???

It would truly  surprise me if the majority of people that consume GMO on a regular  basis  did not have leaky gut

Very simple. If you look at the studies done on leaky gut and celiac desease, you will find that the control group made up of randomly selected people, always displays a much lower and normal range of intestinal permeability (leaky gut) than the celiac patients.

So its easy to see, that the general population in spite of eating GMO on a daily basis, still exhibit normal healthy & levels of intestinal permeability.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
ValeriaZ Rookie

Initially leaky gut onset is because of candida/gluten/NSAIDS/antibiotics/vaccines.

When your gut is aready leaky, then things that do harm you:

lectins (all main groups + GMO)

oxalates

Because those should not normally be present in the bloodstream, but with leaky gut they are.

This explains why GMO/lectins/high oxalate foods are non problematic  to those who have healthy gut, but are very harmful for those with leaky gut

Archived