This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Optimistic After 6 Months - But Have A Question

TGK112

TGK112 Contributor

I just had my 6 month follow up - with great results. As for blood work - my TIGA was 4 ( normal being 0-3) - my first test it was 19, and my TIGG was a 3 (normal being 0-5) - my first test was 14. My first endoscopy showed moderate to severe damage, and six months later, my endoscopy showed complete healing. My GI was amazed at the recovery, saying that he has never seen such quick healing. I even questioned if the first diagnosis was indeed accurate. He said - considering both the blood work and biopsies, there's no doubt.

He said - considering how quickly I have healed - that if I would like - on special occasions "to treat myself to something special" (gluten filled), that it should be okay- as long as I immediately go back and continue on the gluten free diet. What do you all think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

And the experts say " NO!" Perhaps you could forward this info to your doctor who knows nothing about Celiac?

this is just from 3 medical centers, there are more.

Open Original Shared Link

"A lifetime commitment

The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms. It can take weeks for antibody levels (indicating intestinal damage) to normalize after a person with celiac disease has consumed gluten. Depending on a person’s age at diagnosis, some problems, such as delayed growth and tooth discoloration, may not improve."

"Q: Is it ok if I ingest some gluten if I do not experience any symptoms?

No. The majority of patients with celiac disease experience no symptoms when they ingest gluten, either intentionally or unintentionally. This led to the concept that patients, especially children may grow out of the disease. In addition, patients also consider that it is doing no harm to them. However the ingestion of even small amounts of gluten results in damage to the small intestine--regardless of the presence or absence of symptoms--and puts the patient at risk for resulting complications including malignancies and osteoporosis."

Can I cheat on my gluten-free diet?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is no. Even when you are sticking to a gluten-free diet, it is impossible to eat gluten-free 100% of the time. This is because there is always some level of contamination of foods, whether it is when the food is processed, when dining out, or in your own kitchen at home. Intentional or unintentional ingestion of gluten will prevent your villi from healing well. Therefore, it is very important to follow the gluten-free diet as carefully as you can to benefit from it.

GFinDC Veteran

Here's another way to think of it.  If you had a cut on your finger and it hurt every time you used it, would you think it was ok if it took 6 months to heal?  And if it did, would you start juggling knives the next day?

What I think is your doctor is giving you poor advice.  That's ok, there is plenty of free good advice on this forum! :)

GottaSki Mentor

I'd like to offer those doctors the option to eat just a little bit of crushed glass -- really it is okay as long as they only do it once in a while for a very special treat ;)

GF Lover Rising Star

It's so sad that Doctors don't read up to date research regarding Celiac.  It's OUR lives there "guessing about".  Just one more reason to be your own advocate in your health care and do your research.  I think the MD behind some of these doctors name  really means "Mostly Dumb".

Colleen 

kittty Contributor

My doctor said the same thing, but she already admitted that she knew nothing about celiac disease. It's sad isn't it? You'd think they would at least verify the things they say.

PersianCeliac Contributor

Seriously how do these people become doctors !! Where do they get their certificates from exactly stupid university ??!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

I'd like to offer those doctors the option to eat just a little bit of crushed glass -- really it is okay as long as they only do it once in a while for a very special treat ;)

Actually, if the glass is realleeeyyy fine, it would probably be safer.....

GottaSki Mentor

Actually, if the glass is realleeeyyy fine, it would probably be safer.....

Yes, I would rather eat sand than gluten ;)

gatita Enthusiast

I am so surprised a doctor would say that!!

Makes me appreciate my own doc who has made it crystal clear, no more gluten. End of story.

TGK112 Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. The doctor tried explaining - that prior to being gluten free, I was constantly inflaming my intestine - something like not letting a sore heal by constantly hitting it. Now that the intestine is healed, he said, even if it does get inflamed on rare occasion, by sticking to my apparently successful gluten free diet, it should heal very quickly.

It seemed to make sense at the time - but now that I've seen these comments - I'm thinking NO WAY!

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for all the responses. The doctor tried explaining - that prior to being gluten free, I was constantly inflaming my intestine - something like not letting a sore heal by constantly hitting it. Now that the intestine is healed, he said, even if it does get inflamed on rare occasion, by sticking to my apparently successful gluten free diet, it should heal very quickly.

It seemed to make sense at the time - but now that I've seen these comments - I'm thinking NO WAY!

That is for accidental glutenings.  Not on purpose ones!

Archived