Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aladywithahammer@yahoo.com

Working And Dealing With Celiac And Ulcerative Colitis.

I have been dealing with Celiac and Ulcerative Colitis for over 20 years now, but lately, my symptoms have gotten a lot worse.  I work in a restaurant and having this condition makes it extremely hard to work.   I am very disappointed in the lack of compassion for my disease.  It really is debilitating most of the time for me.  Especially because I spend many hours in the bathroom.  If my stomach isn't cooperating, I need to get to a bathroom fast.  I am trying to educate my boss as to why, when I say I need to leave soon, he understands exactly what I mean.  I have been trying to find some good articles for him to read that explain my condition and the urgency in which I need a bathroom, but I haven't found any.  Does anyone have any suggestions??  I am sure he is frustrated too, but we need to find some middle ground.  I am not like a normal person  who is simply complaining of a stomach ache and has to go home, it's much more severe. 

I hear you! I have missed lots of work since getting sick last year and it's been so hard to explain. Even my best friend didn't realize how bad it can get until we took a road trip together!

As far as articles, I also wish I had a handout or something to that explains all this friends and family. That way it's not coming from our mouths, but something "official."

Just out of curiosity, does working in a restaurant make you sicker? I don't think I could do it myself...