This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Were You First Symptoms To Go Away?

norman516

norman516 Rookie

Hi, I'm 17 and have just started the gluten free diet. I am very excited to see results and just want to know; What were your earliest symptoms to go away and how long did it take?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

First, my feet hurt worse than ever.  They even had plantar fasheitis in both feet.  Then the pain went away and never came back.  I think that happened in 1-3 months.

GottaSki Mentor

Skin, nails and hair all improved -- and I had pretty good skin and great hair before I was gluten free - my nails had always peeled and broke easily -- then a few months in my gums started improving - always had gum issues even with very good dental hygiene.  I had some improvement with digestion for the first six months -- then had other issues pop up...but I was 43 when I went gluten-free.

You are 17 so you will likely see much more improvement quickly.  My son was 15 when he went gluten-free -- digestive issues, bloating, flu type symptoms all disappeared -- his reflux remains problematic, but has improved over the past 4 years and he just grew an inch this past six months --- at 19!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Migraines and constant D were the first things to go away for me. Both were gone within a couple weeks.  I still had issues with occasional D until I discovered that soy was my enemy also. The next to go away was my periodic episodes of depression. I know only get hit with that when glutened and it lifts after one day. My neuro issues took much longer to resolve as did my arthritis.

The time to heal can vary from person to person as can the body systems impacted. Many of us also go through withdrawl. That can be tough for many but will pass.

I hope you are feeling much better soon. Eat as much whole food as you can, stay away from restaurants and other people's cooking and do learn as much as you can about cross contamination to help speed the process.

nvsmom Community Regular

My stomach aches and bloating started to go after a few days.

After a month my headaches went away and I started losing weight (inflammation most like). My hair started to grow in better. Leg cramps slowed a bit. A bit more energy.

After 6 months, my joint pain went away. I'm not sure if it was related because it tends to come and go once or twice a year but my fingers are crossed.

I am still dealing with some symptoms that are the same as celiac but I think it's due to undertreated hypothyroidism.

I hope you continue to feel better!!

Smylinacha Apprentice

In about a week my stomach pain went away, my constipation/D problems almost gone, much better mood...I was crabby more than happy. Haven't had any headaches.

jamer Apprentice

Within a few days, my reflux and gas disappeared. Over a few weeks, depressiona and anxiety started to life. The mental fog also went away within a few weeks. I'm two months into my gluten-free lifestyle and I've noticed I no longer have issues with neuropathy or even knee pain. Crossing my fingers that with time maybe my PVCs will even go away...oh and I'm starting to loose weight without much effort. :) I was a Celiac that couldn't loose weight no matter how much I tried. Now after diagnosis, it's coming off. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Within a few days, my reflux and gas disappeared. Over a few weeks, depressiona and anxiety started to life. The mental fog also went away within a few weeks. I'm two months into my gluten-free lifestyle and I've noticed I no longer have issues with neuropathy or even knee pain. Crossing my fingers that with time maybe my PVCs will even go away...oh and I'm starting to loose weight without much effort. :) I was a Celiac that couldn't loose weight no matter how much I tried. Now after diagnosis, it's coming off. :)

Oh Jamer!

Thank you for posting :D

foam Apprentice

Bloating went away as soon as I got on b12 shots and the majority of stomach and digestive upsets / pain etc went away with the gluten. Still ongoing other problems some years later because gluten free was too little too late for me. But I'm getting there. I only wish I had of know there was such a thing as Celiac or gluten problems when I was 17 because I was already sick then and didn't stop eating it for another 20 years. I think you'll come out of it ok having got on it early

Psyche Newbie

The bloating and intestinal pain were the first to subside. That was a huge relief - almost like instant gratification.

decemberhill Newbie

This is a question I have as well. It's great to hear all the responses. We, as a family, are going gluten-free on Saturday due to my daughter's diagnosis. 

VeggieGal Contributor

im fairly new at being 10 wks gluten-free but by week 4, my itchy scalp rash had just about cleared up.

by wk 6 my fluctuating eyesight and dry eyes had improved dramatically (i had eye surgery 3 times, 4 yrs ago and last December my optician had made me an appointment for begin of Feb to fit me with glasses! but on the appointment, my vision was back to 20/20 !... i was taking flaxseed daily so that may have helped)

mamamonkey Rookie

My first symptoms to go were chronic D, nausea, pain after eating, and bloating. I lost a pants size in the first month just from bloat. Migraines took a little longer to improve, but did improve (and then came back...yuck). I had a rash on my hand that cleared up after about 2 months gluten-free (pretty sure it is just eczema and not DH as it was not blistery). 

I didn't expect ANY of the digestive stuff as I originally quit eating gluten to see if it would help my headaches. The drastic GI response is one of the things that prompted my celiac dx when I finally went to see GI.

cavernio Enthusiast

Within a week my skin cleared up from what I'd call regular acne. Bloating and abdominal pain took, well, a few months must have been. I rarely get hot/cold spells or feel like I'm getting the flu now.

But I still have very little energy, moderate excersise drains me, my neuropathy comes and goes (always worse the day or so after I excersise at all, and not just in my limbs where it makes sense, around my lips I get that nerve tingling), I've had a missed period, and my mood isn't better. Still have ups and downs, although random rages have improved, but I'm still depressed.

alesusy Explorer

First thing to go, anxiety attacks and depression. Energy levels too started improving in the first week. Tension headaches disappeared too. Blurred vision too. Reflux in the first weeks. All of these come back periodically, however, either because I ate gluten (involuntarily!) or because I ate something else which bothered my very sensitive bowels. (say: alcohol, coffee, or simply too much food. I'm almost four months gluten-free at this point, not nearly enough to see a real difference, says my GI doctor, at my age: I'm 47).

GI symptoms tend to come and go. On good days I have no bloating, no C and no D. Energy levels are much better (I get done a wide amount of stuff every day) but I can have bad or very bad days when I can't function at all and where all my GI symptoms come back. Dry, itchy eyes are still with me at night.

I still have issues with my period (it always was very regular and in the last months of my glutened life had started to come early or late by sometimes a week or too; but that might be related also to my age).

I'm still very dehydratated and trying to drink more.

running like a zombie Newbie

They first to leave were my horrible stomach cramps and the rest of the ibs like symptoms. Also abt that time my reflux was gone. A couple of weeks later as my life became normal again the agitation finally disappeared.

BZBee Apprentice

Joint Pain in my hips, knees, and ankles! That went away 2-3 weeks gluten free. Also, bloating and acid reflux went away.

gatita Enthusiast

Tingling feet stopped pretty quickly, the joint pain in my arms and shoulders improved after about five months.

Still struggling with digestive issues, but at least the majorly preggo-belly bloat is gone after about six months.

lisa74 Newbie

Glad that you are feeling better now on a gluten free diet! The first symptom that went away was my chest pain when I went gluten free. It went away after 2 days of being gluten free and hasn't been back.

MicheleR Newbie

I have been gluten free for only a week.  However, I already feel so much better!!  I can actually eat without getting a terrible stomach ache afterwards.  My head seems clearer, concentration is getting better.  Chest pains seem to be gone.  A coworker told me yesterday that I am losing the bloated look, which I saw, but thought maybe I was imagining it.  I have cheek bones again.   Lost 3 lbs in the first week, but find that clothes already fit better.  My energy level still isn't where I want it, but that can also be from the iron and B12 deficiencies.  Once I get more energy I plan on getting more exercise, which I know will help tremendously!  Thanks again for this forum!!  I was out with my 14yo nephew who was hungry and we weren't close to home, so we went to a 99 restaurant, and I ordered a gluten free burger.  I didn't think I had to explain how sick I could get from cross contamination, but, as delicious as the meal was, I did get the stomach pains.  I suspect they weren't as careful as they should have been in the kitchen.  Next time, I will have my card to show exactly what I need.  Lesson learned.

Archived