This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nuts In Stool...normal Or Not?

powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

since no bodily function seems to be off limits in this form...here goes :rolleyes:    although health benefits seem to be associated with raw almonds, and they are such a convient snack, I don't think my body likes them.  When I eat raw almonds, peanuts/other nuts in Larabars etc., my stool always looks likes speckled Easter eggs.  Yes, I've tried really chewing/grinding, but I still end up seeing pieces.  I've read a few things about nuts irritating the digestive track, so I'm thinking my best bet would be to give them up for awhile since I'm newly gluten free.

I've read it's normal to see nut pieces in your stool, so is it...really?  Or is it your body's way of saying, "Hey, don't eat me!"  I understand maybe a few pieces, like a few bits of lettuce, but not all of yesterday's snack  :wacko:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Raw peanuts are very hard to digest. That is why you usually find them roasted or boiled.

edited my previous post, but I eat raw almonds, and any peanuts or other nuts I eat are the ones found in Larabars.  

New Community Member Explorer

Doesn't sound like they are digesting. Nuts are hard to digest. I've learned we have to 'listen to our body,' since no one person is the same. If something doesn't suit us well, it's best to stay away from it. Otherwise, we keep our intestines inflamed and prevent healing from occurring. 

EmiPark210 Contributor

Happens to me all the time. But I've never considered it weird. If it's uncomfortable to pass then maybe that could be an issue but there are certain things our bodies don't completely process which is how you can tell about an animal's diet by its scat.

Smylinacha Apprentice

Exact same thing with me....love your description about a speckled Easter egg! Lol! Nuts go in chewed and come out "speckled"... Glad I am not the only one.:-)

cavernio Enthusiast

Yeah nuts do that to me too. I've never been worried about it, well, not knowing now that I have damaged intestines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Psyche Newbie

Nuts do that to me as well. My doctor told me it was normal, really, and to not stress about it. He did say that I likely did not have to worry about adding extra fiber if I was eating nuts. :lol:

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I eat raw almonds almost every day. Since I started taking digestive enzymes I have fewer problems with, er, lumps.

• 5 weeks later...

meant to come back earlier to post, but my doctor said that shouldn't be happening, and they should be broken down more.  In the meantime, I've realized my body also does the same with coconut.  I'll try reintroducing them in a few months, and if it still happens, I'll try some digestive enzymes.  He couldn't give me an explanation as to why it was happening...

1desperateladysaved Proficient

meant to come back earlier to post, but my doctor said that shouldn't be happening, and they should be broken down more.  In the meantime, I've realized my body also does the same with coconut.  I'll try reintroducing them in a few months, and if it still happens, I'll try some digestive enzymes.  He couldn't give me an explanation as to why it was happening...

That sounds like a good plan to me.  My health practitioner told me that when the villi of the intestine are damaged, they fail to tell the pancreas to fire.  The enzyme supplements can help break down the food in the meanwhile.  Hopefully, over time, with better nutrition, the villi will heal and tell the pancreas to give off enzymes.

anti-soprano Apprentice

Could it be low stomach acid?  especially if you're seeing other identifiable food items in there?

I was misdiagnosed as having acid reflux for years.  In the end, I was on two pills of nexium a day.  When I began the larger dosage, I thought it was odd that I could recognize my meals some of the time.  I'm positive that I had low stomach acid at that point.

Not an expert in any of this stuff, but it just made me reminisce about my digestive trials and tribulations.

anti-soprano, thanks for the idea  :)  I've actually thought about low stomach acid and bought HCL pepsin capsules.  I've taken them with higher protein meals, but sometimes I'll take only one capsule with a meal, it's a 650 mg dose, and get burning in my throat, so I'm not sure if that's my problem.  Someone on the forum recommended reading Why Stomach Acid is Good for You, because once I mentioned I thought I had some sort of reflux the GI doc asked if I wanted to take something.  I'm not big on pills and I declined until seeing what was on my EGD, and I got diagnosed with GERD.  That is an awesome book that I highly recommend :) I decided to try the gluten-free diet before taking any acid reducers, and since I've given up gluten, it's gotten much better.  I have noticed it comes back when I exercise.  I haven't been exercising a lot because it made me exhausted, but finally I am starting to have the energy to do that again, which makes me so happy  :D I'm hoping in time it completely goes away.

I'm thinking about trying the Paleo diet for a while because of the anti-inflammatory claims it has and to see if that makes me heal faster.  

PS-are you an alto?  I call myself a secondary soprano because playing my French horn is first, and singing is second.  Maybe we can still be friends?  :P

here's a link to the book if you're interested Open Original Shared Link

Could it be low stomach acid?  especially if you're seeing other identifiable food items in there?

I was misdiagnosed as having acid reflux for years.  In the end, I was on two pills of nexium a day.  When I began the larger dosage, I thought it was odd that I could recognize my meals some of the time.  I'm positive that I had low stomach acid at that point.

Not an expert in any of this stuff, but it just made me reminisce about my digestive trials and tribulations.

anti-soprano Apprentice

PS-are you an alto?  I call myself a secondary soprano because playing my French horn is first, and singing is second.  Maybe we can still be friends?  :P

I'm actually a soprano who wants to be a mezzo!  Sopranos have such bad reputations in the classical music world (can't read music, horrible musicianship, not to mention narcissistic).  Some instrumentalist friends of mine started calling me the anti-soprano, so now I wear it as a badge of honor.  I love second sopranos and horn players- so we should get along just fine!

Good luck to you- I hope you find some answers.

"How does a soprano change a light bulb?  She just holds it and the world revolves around her!"

I completely agree about the mentality of sopranos.  one word comes to mind...Diva  :)  my whole family is musical...sometimes we even perform as a family band.  It's pretty cute :)  My Mom is a soprano 1 and voice teacher, and growing up she always wanted and tried to give me voice lessons.  it's hard trying to be taught by your parents because they're extra hard on you  :wacko:  anyway I've always sang, but because I never worked to expand my range, I am a soprano 2 and am fine with that  :P  I love my Mom, but anytime she is being difficult, I attribute that to her soprano 1 diva mentality hahahaha

i'm an elementary music teacher, and French horn is my main instrument and what I majored in during college, and I love it   :D  diva and drama is not me  :P

glad to meet another musician on the forum!!

I'm actually a soprano who wants to be a mezzo!  Sopranos have such bad reputations in the classical music world (can't read music, horrible musicianship, not to mention narcissistic).  Some instrumentalist friends of mine started calling me the anti-soprano, so now I wear it as a badge of honor.  I love second sopranos and horn players- so we should get along just fine!

Good luck to you- I hope you find some answers.

"How does a soprano change a light bulb?  She just holds it and the world revolves around her!"

anti-soprano Apprentice

I now teach at a university, but started off as a piano music ed major.  Taught in the public schools for a few years before paying out the wazoo for grad school!  We have a lot in common- it's good to know you!  BTW, my husband has been known to also call me "the diva", but I keep hoping he's only joking.  There's got to be no way you can function in an elementary music class on days you don't feel good...

yeah there have definitely been days that have been really hard, but as you know then you see their smiling faces full of joy and eagerness, and think ok time to make them excited about music, and then suddenly it's the end of the day  :)  i teach 1st-5th grade.  what grades did you teach before getting into the college level?

anti-soprano Apprentice

yeah there have definitely been days that have been really hard, but as you know then you see their smiling faces full of joy and eagerness, and think ok time to make them excited about music, and then suddenly it's the end of the day  :)  i teach 1st-5th grade.  what grades did you teach before getting into the college level?

I taught one year part time in both an urban elementary school and suburban high school, one year 5-7, and my last two years in public school were at a small 7-12 grade building.  I had a whirlwind tour! Finding the best fit for your personality is key.  You're lucky if you can figure out what that is and nail it down from the start!

• 11 months later...

wanted to come back and update...it was determined that the reason I find nuts in my stool is due to my diagnosis of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.  My pancreas does not release enough lipase to digest fat properly and with EPI, a low fiber diet is best.  Between high fat and fiber, nuts do not get broken down correctly in my body.  I just started taking Creon, so perhaps in a few months I'll have a different outcome!

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I've always found roasted nuts easier on my system than raw ones - and I always take a digestive enzyme when I eat them.  Always.  And be sure to chew them really well.  Food that makes it through your entire system still intact isn't doing you any good, because if it isn't being digested then the nutrients in it are not being absorbed.

GF Lover Rising Star

Nuts in stool seem pretty normal to me.

Show of hands who has nuts in stool?    I DO

Colleen

LauraTX Rising Star

Colleen

Pistachios especially!  Haha!   Seriously, though... a little bit is normal. 

I completely agree that a little bit is normal, but I end up seeing the whole Kind bar in the toilet  :lol:

Pistachios especially!  Haha!   Seriously, though... a little bit is normal. 

GF Lover Rising Star

I completely agree that a little bit is normal, but I end up seeing the whole Kind bar in the toilet  :lol:

I'll take your word for it.  I have a vision of the kind bar, wrapper and all, floating in your toilet,   :lol:

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

Colleen

Just want to add that while having nuts show up in your stool may not be indicative of a serious health issue... being "normal" just because it happens to just about everyone does not mean that it's healthy.  Not getting enough sleep is normal too - but very unhealthy (just as an example).

Archived