This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A Break From Cooking All The Time!

pretty in paleo

pretty in paleo Apprentice

Hi all. I am on a whole foods and of course gluten free diet. Basically I have to cook all my own food since I am allergic to many common ingredients. At the moment I'm just feeling really burnt out on doing all this cooking, and trying to think of healthy  foods that don't really require preparation. Just need a break for like 4-5 days. Being stuck in the kitchen all the time is kind of bumming me out. There are other things I need to catch up on too. Anyway, I am mostly going for dinner ideas here. Canned salmon, some applegate sausages and hotdogs that are really quick to reheat. What else, what else?? Don't get me wrong, I like to cook! But not every single day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Make big meals on weekends and freeze the leftovers. Make extra of sauce, freeze, and reheat with pasta.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

But a whole chicken, cut it in half. Marinade briefly in lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper. Grill or oven roast around 325 til cooked. Use the chicken all week in various dishes: tacos, salads, etc., or freeze and take out later.

Cookingpapa Rookie

I get the burn out too as we have a gluten, lactose and nut allergy in our family of 4!

I agree with the above posts that cooking on the weekend and re-heating is a good way, but it sounds like you need a break now!

I suggest going to a store like Whole Foods or Sprouts if you have one in your area. Both these stores have a good gluten free section and some good frozen food options. I like Amy's gluten free products.

And for a special treat, get take out from a PF. Chang's. I do all the cooking in my family, but on Thursday nights (by then, most of the food I've cooked on the weekend has run out) we get take out from there. They have a gluten free menu.

Adalaide Mentor

What I used to do when I lived with a roommate was use the crock pot and make meals on Sundays. I would make veggies and a roast and we would pack that on Sunday nights into our meals to take to work all week and our weeknight meals. It was enough to feed the two of us for 5 days, 10 meals. Depending on how many you are cooking for, how much variety you feel like you need and how big your crock pot is, you could do this too. Even if you crave variety in veggies, you can prep them on the day you cook and just roast them in the oven on the day you eat. It is as easy as spraying with oil, and turning the oven on. (I use a Misto, not cooking spray, I suppose tossing them with oil works the same.)

Takala Enthusiast

Baked potatoes, white or sweet, (can bake several at once, and reheat) topped with your favorite toppings, like olive oil, yogurt, cheese, cheese and broccoli, chile, bacon, almond butter, maple syrup, etc.  We always cook up the entire package of hamburger at once and then either eat the burgers at will, or use the meat in other things like tacos, etc.  And we bake up chicken leg pieces all at once for lunches.  Between the precooked potato and meat, all you have to add is bagged salad greens or a green vegetable.  Not exotic, but it's filling and easy.   Or you can make a big casserole dish of something (corn, beans, tomatoes, maybe add some rice)  or a pot of soup, make a batch of chebe biscuits with some other added high protein grain, and eat out of that. 

lvglo Newbie

Hi all. I am on a whole foods and of course gluten free diet. Basically I have to cook all my own food since I am allergic to many common ingredients. At the moment I'm just feeling really burnt out on doing all this cooking, and trying to think of healthy  foods that don't really require preparation. Just need a break for like 4-5 days. Being stuck in the kitchen all the time is kind of bumming me out. There are other things I need to catch up on too. Anyway, I am mostly going for dinner ideas here. Canned salmon, some applegate sausages and hotdogs that are really quick to reheat. What else, what else?? Don't get me wrong, I like to cook! But not every single day!

You might try making a green salad adding your favorite ingredients, add crunched up tortilla chips, shredded cheese, add gluten-free fully cooked John Soules meat (i get mine at Walmart, i use beef or chicken works good) mix it up ready to serve.  Top with what sounds good to you like salsa, sour cream, olives or favorite dressing.  I have also used this meat making a quick taco night. Hope this helps you out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

I hear ya!  I usually do the double up on dinner plan.  Double the recipe and freeze half.  That worked very well untill my son got to this "teenager" growth sprurt.  Holy Crap this kid eats! 

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I looked into this Artisan Bistro (?) frozen meal delivery thing.  You can customize your choices based on your allergies and I've heard the meals are very good.  Maybe have a few in house for days where you don't feel like cooking?

Archived