Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carebear

Gluten Free Bunny Food?

Hi all,

I'm having the hardest time playing with my rabbit without getting sick!  He's a really sweet animal and I've had him 5 years and really, really don't want to part with him.  Whenever I take him out a lot and spend a lot fo time with him (which he requires - he's needy!), I get cc symptoms.  This has been going on for a year and a half now since I went gluten free.  Please help!  This oscillation of me getting sick followed by not playing with him for a couple weeks is not good for either of us.

Thanks!

I don't know how you buy your hay. I buy mind at a local farm store because paying $20 for a dinky thing of hay at the pet store seems criminal when I can buy a bale of hay for $5. Something to keep in mind though is if you buy alfalfa hay, it is not unusual at all for the rotation crop to be barley or oats, or sometimes even orchard grass. This can lead to a minor risk of CC from his/her hay if you use alfalfa. My local farm store used to carry grass hay but hasn't had it lately. Oh well, she is twice as crazy for alfalfa. Spoiled brat.

My bun is very snobbish and wouldn't dare deign to lower herself to something like playing with a human. I guess I lucked out there. When she does demand things like petting and attention though, I am careful to always brush her hair off of me then wash my hands. If her hair clings I change my clothes.

The best forum or website I can suggest is binky bunny. It was a great resource for me when I was getting ready to bring Freya home and when I first got her. You'll probably find a lot of info on a good balanced diet of veggies and such from bunny experts and may even find a good source of gluten free pellets. I haven't bothered finding any since my furry baby is such a snobby brat.