Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimsy

Allergens In Medication

After I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I also discoverd that I was severely Lactose Intolerant.  I continued to be sick.. .for almost three years.  I  spent more time in the bathroom than anywhere else.  I was still miserable all the time, gas, bloating, nasty bathroom trips. The only medication I took daily was Zyrtec for my year-round allergies.

After two years of figuring that I was just always going to have a sick stomach, always wear a pad and carry baby wipes, and just-in-case a pair of panties in my purse for those emergency bathroom runs.  It was so bad that I really did not want to go anywhere, and made sure that I always knew where the bathroom was ANYWHERE I went.

Then.....one day I was discussing this with my daughter and she said "what are the ingredients in Zyrtec?"  (both my daugher and granddaughter are Celiac too, but only my granddaughter is also lactose intolerant).

WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT THE LEADING ALLERGY MEDICATION taken by most folks every day CONTAINS LACTOSE  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE OF THE MOST COMMON ALLERGENS.

I contacted them with respect to adding allergens to their allergy medication and basically just got a refund.

Subsequently, they have developed a "gel cap", which by the way is twice the price, but it does not contain Lactose or gluten..............

The moral to the story.....CALL THE  MANUFACTURER, DEMAND, if you have to, that YOUR PHARMACY provide you with an INGREDIENTLIST PRINT OUT,  SAVE EVERY BOX AND LIST AND LOOK UP EACH INGREDIENT ON-LINE YOURSELF.

IF A MANUFACTURER SAYS " WELL, WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT OUR SUPPLIERS PUTS INTO THEIR PRODUCTS"  your response should be:

If you do not know what your suppliers add to their goods, than I guess you are obtaining your ingredients from China................Because, here in the United States of America, each and every ingredient must be disclosed.  Say goodbye, and do not EVER use ANY of their products.  Then, post it here, so we all know.

Call the manufacturer.........and push, ask for a supervisor, and go all the way to the president of the company.  Then you could always threaten them with Facebook, Twitter (I really don;t know much about them)....but they don't really want bad press.....today one inventive post could get a lot of face time.

On that note:  please post the "good guys"..........mine NYC COSMETICS' LINE......OMG, call and they will tell you which lipstick, powder, etc. is gluten and lactose free.  Delightfully helpful.  AND THE MOST AFFORDABLE MAKEUP OUT THERE.

Good Luck, I hope it is something as simple as mine turned out to be.