Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CommonTater

I Am So Sick After Rice Cakes

I bought some mini snack size cheese flavored, I did not see anything listed on the ingredients but today I am sick. I'm cramping terribly and can't stay out of the bathroom. NO MORE rice cakes!

I don't think the mini flavored rice cakes are gluten free. At least not with Quaker. The big ones are and does state on the package gluten-free but I too was tempted by the mini bites and passed because I was unsure, sorry your sick feel better soon thanks for sharing :)

I unfortunately can't even eat the plain big rice cakes - even the organic ones from Whole Foods.  I love putting almond butter and strawberry preserves on them to make a crunchy pb & J, but every time, I'm severly lightheaded and nauseous after.  To rule out other things, I ate them plain with nothing else in the morning once...same reaction.  totally bummed.

I have found also that any of the rice products make me feel sick. quite the bummer since that was a mainstay I could carry around with me. I tried a few different brands, and the same result with all. so another thing crossed off my list.

interesting though, I can eat rice.. things that make you go hmmm

That is strange, but I've heard of rice cakes causing problems for Celiacs, I used to keep them in my car for something to tame to hunger monster in my stomach until I could make it home, but resulted in constipation if I had more than one or two, and they aren't very filling so I'd find myself eating way more than I should. Maybe it's something about the process...

I eat the Lundberg brown rice cakes sometimes and have never had a problem. (ok, honestly, I think they taste like "nothing" and have the texture of styrofoam, but if you put enough peanut butter and honey on them, they're okay)  :lol: And yes, eating too many of them without enough water may well give you a C problem. That's a lot of fiber.

I am not sure how far along in the healing process any of you guys are, but I would suggest you try them again further

down the road. Maybe your gut just does not like them right now. I had a LOT of foods that made me feel nauseous and yucky at the beginning right after DX and I took them out and added them back in one at a time as the months progressed. Still working on the pesky eggs.

<_<

Best wishes, all!

I wonder if you have a soy intolerance as I have noticed all rice cakes I ever saw have soy ingredients in them and so I can't have them. Instead of rice cakes which I can't have I will use a cracker called Brown Rice Snaps (Toasted Onion) which I like but they are thin and crispy compared to rice cakes and the company that makes them is Edward & Sons. So maybe you might try them if you see them...they do come in a package and I will put some in a zip lock bag to take with me if I go somewhere. At home I put everything on them even peanut butter which I know may sound weird on a toasted onion flavor cracker but it tastes good to me. :)

Edward and Sons also makes a Rice snap cracker which is plain but it is not made in the same place and on the package it says may be made on equipment which also processes wheat and so I will not buy them and only get the Brown Rice Snaps.

If rice cakes don't work maybe corn cakes will.  Corn Thins are a similar thing to rice cakes but thinner and made from corn.  They are made in a dedicated gluten-free facility in Australia but are sold in many countries.  I get them at health food stores.  You may have to ask for them as they aren't always in the same area as rice cakes for some reason.

http://www.cornthins.com/

http://www.cornthins.com/inter.aspx

Quaker rice cakes used to have a bad rep with celiacs, but I think they have improved somewhat.  I don't know myself tho, I'm not willing to try them.