This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Happy Spring, Fellow Gardeners!

notme

love2travel Mentor

That sounds like a fab plan!

I am a city born and bred  girl too, don't forget , but I have lived in the country for so long now that I am wondering if I will be able to adapt to yet another  planting zone change? 4  to 10 is a big leap.

But at least it's not ZONE1a (Love 2--you poor chilly thing)  GET THEE TO CROATIA permanently!!

The tomatoes and herbs did not get washed out from the torrential rains as I had feared, so, whew! the irises are open, the columbine is open

and peonies are just beginning to open. 

A nest of flycatchers in the garage is giving us great joy--they are just starting to lift their wobbly heads and every time I go in and out of the garage to retrieve a garden tool, I can hear the faint Peep, peep, peep....

We cannot wait to get to Croatia.  This zone 1a thing is NOT ideal. 

My Swiss chard and green bean loops have just poked up yesterday.  They are about 2 mm tall.  We have not yet had rain since winter so it is bone dry.  We had many feet of snow but it melted quickly, flooded and just ran off. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GottaSki Mentor

I now have 13 herbs growing on the patio -- some from seed -- this is exciting....you see I have always loved to garden...but I would plant things and then flare for a week or two...then longer and longer -- can't tell you how many things I have murdered in my garden -- this year is different....things are growing and blooming!!!!

Can't wait for the boys to build my raised planter beds this summer :)

Gotta find that pineapple mine to go along side my lemon tyme -- I think they'll make nice neighbors ;)

nvsmom Community Regular

We cannot wait to get to Croatia.  This zone 1a thing is NOT ideal. 

My Swiss chard and green bean loops have just poked up yesterday.  They are about 2 mm tall.  We have not yet had rain since winter so it is bone dry.  We had many feet of snow but it melted quickly, flooded and just ran off. 

:huh: Zone 1a?? Oh my! You must be north of the Arctic circle or halway up a mountain.... And here I was feeling sorry for myself in my zone 2b/3a garden.... we're too close to the Rockies for good gardening.  Kudos to you for gardening up there!

BTW, what time is sunset for you now? Down here sunrise is about 5:30 and sunset is just before 10:00pm.... love long summer days.  :)B)

GottaSki Mentor

So the other day there was a shroom in one of my tomato grocery bag plants -- it was kinda ugly and died before I could get a good picture of it.

Fast forward to yesterday.....I found these waiting for me -- glad to know she is still just as playful from her new playground :)

936945_1375397749340586_900226540_n.webp

580695_1375402269340134_109030302_n.webp

GottaSki Mentor

Down here sunrise is about 5:30 and sunset is just before 10:00pm.... love long summer days.  :)B)

Oh I loved that when we were camping up on the Montana/Canada border....the kids were 9 and 10 and had the best time playing with all the other kids in the playground until 10pm...then we had smores -- best trip ever!!!

w8in4dave Community Regular

So the other day there was a shroom in one of my tomato grocery bag plants -- it was kinda ugly and died before I could get a good picture of it.

Fast forward to yesterday.....I found these waiting for me -- glad to know she is still just as playful from her new playground :)

936945_1375397749340586_900226540_n.webp

580695_1375402269340134_109030302_n.webp

Nice!! Are they edible? All I know are Morels! We used to get alot of them around here out by the RR tracks! But the darn RR went thru and replaced alot of the track and messed up our fav Morel spot! Pfftt! 

love2travel Mentor

:huh: Zone 1a?? Oh my! You must be north of the Arctic circle or halway up a mountain...furtherd here I was feeling sorry for myself in my zone 2b/3a garden.... we're too close to the Rockies for good gardening.  Kudos to you for gardening up there!

BTW, what time is sunset for you now? Down here sunrise is about 5:30 and sunset is just before 10:00pm.... love long summer days.  :)B)

No, we live in a wee cold pocket in northern Alberta. The summer days are glorious and long! Sunrise is 4:40 and sunset 10:00. We used to live further north where I was able to work at my computer at 11 pm without lights on!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

-- can't tell you how many things I have murdered in my garden -- 

LOL!  i know exactly what you mean :)  love the 'shroom' - she just pops up everywhere - i sure do miss her - had to read through an old thread today and there she was.  it's still really wierd :(

my giant artichoke is nearly ready to harvest - i am watching it carefully to make sure it doesn't bloom.  it is 4-5" diameter and i'm so curious how large it would grow without blooming.  i'm probly gonna screw it up lolz

loving the fresh herbs - put some fresh rosemary in roasted potatoes last night and it made the whole house smell rosemaryish  ;)

nvsmom Community Regular

No, we live in a wee cold pocket in northern Alberta. The summer days are glorious and long! Sunrise is 4:40 and sunset 10:00. We used to live further north where I was able to work at my computer at 11 pm without lights on!!!!!

Ahhhh! :) I'm down in Calgary. We're south but the Rockies make our summer very short - only June July and August are frost free.

My hubby used to work up north quite frequently in the winters. i was always amazed how people had to leave everything running (cars, generators, machinery) or they would freeze solid.  Brrr.

Have not started our garden as of yet! But soon! A lil late for us but weather has held us up! I cannot w8 to get started! 

GottaSki Mentor

My raised beds will not be ready for this Summer -- so I am going to start with this as soon as son tills a small corner of my lawn -- his deadline is this weekend!!!!

5357_1378775495669478_1222923074_n.webp

notme Experienced

what a great idea!  :)  i have been playing with 'co-planting' - probly not the official name for it - planted lettuce as ground cover for the beans.  the bean plants were all small and innocent and minding their own business until i planted the lettuce.  now, they be all like, "LETTUCE?  AIN'T NO LETTUCE HERE.  YOU SEE ANY LETTUCE, HERE, BUBBA BEAN?"  "no, pappy, i ain't seen no lettuce"  "LIKE I SAAAIID,  AIN'T NO LETTUCE HERE!"  in the meantime, lettuce is cowering under the now-giant bean plants.  i'm gonna hafta wrangle them up a little so lettuce can get some sunlight.  and i got news for beans:  they're what's for dinner tomorrow heh heh heh... <_<     

GottaSki Mentor

what a great idea!   :)  i have been playing with 'co-planting' - probly not the official name for it - planted lettuce as ground cover for the beans.  the bean plants were all small and innocent and minding their own business until i planted the lettuce.  now, they be all like, "LETTUCE?  AIN'T NO LETTUCE HERE.  YOU SEE ANY LETTUCE, HERE, BUBBA BEAN?"  "no, pappy, i ain't seen no lettuce"  "LIKE I SAAAIID,  AIN'T NO LETTUCE HERE!"  in the meantime, lettuce is cowering under the now-giant bean plants.  i'm gonna hafta wrangle them up a little so lettuce can get some sunlight.  and i got news for beans:  they're what's for dinner tomorrow heh heh heh... <_<     

:lol:  :D  :lol:

thanks for the giggles :wub:

Adalaide Mentor

My corn, watermelon and cantaloupes are sharing space. I don't need many melon plants so I just put them at the ends of my corn rows. Last night around sunset we got outside and got our mulching done out there so no weeding in the garden. Yay! I think my husband was a little disturbed after we were done that he hadn't bothered with gardening gloves. He never noticed that our mulch said "turkey compost" on the back. :lol:

notme Experienced

grew and ate a giant artichoke:  CHECK!

here is the monster:

post-37366-0-60628500-1371327963_thumb.j

i hope the photo comes out - had to hold it with both hands - the stem was pretty woody, so i was a little skeptical about whether it would be too tough to eat, but we cooked it and it was yumsss  :)

Our garden is still!!!!! Not started!! Arrrggggg!! 

notme Experienced

well, what are you w8in 4 ??  dave ??  lolz  :P   see what i did there?  i crack myself up  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

grew and ate a giant artichoke:  CHECK!

here is the monster:

attachicon.gif100MEDIA_IMAG0022.webp

i hope the photo comes out - had to hold it with both hands - the stem was pretty woody, so i was a little skeptical about whether it would be too tough to eat, but we cooked it and it was yumsss   :)

Gawd!! that is GORGEOUS!!!!! 

raining every damn day where you are too??? <_<

well, what are you w8in 4 ??  dave ??  lolz  :P   see what i did there?  i crack myself up   :)

:rolleyes: you're a regular laff riot, there Alice. and I think yer pretty funny

love2travel Mentor

We have had less than an inch of rain thus far in 2013. Send some over, will ya?

The above is called companion planting. There are lots of books on it such as "Carrots Love Tomatoes". My itty bitty veggies are just poking up. Our wee Swiss chard is about 5 mm tall and so darling.

GottaSki Mentor

Rain...what is this rain you speak of????

So I got one of the boys to turn the soil a bit at one end of the dead grass...in with the corn/beans/squash....we shall see if my newly restored greenish thumbs are up to the task!

Also the raised planters have an improved design....boys just need to haul heavy things about and then we will have some growing to do!

love2travel Mentor

So I got one of the boys to turn the soil a bit at one end of the dead grass...in with the corn/beans/squash....we shall see if my newly restored greenish thumbs are up to the task!

Also the raised planters have an improved design....boys just need to haul heavy things about and then we will have some growing to do!

My husband built me fantastic raised beds five years ago. There is seating all the way around so I do not have to bend. I grow intensively. It is unreal how much we harvest!
Adalaide Mentor

Seriously? I would sign up for some. I could do with a little less of that ball of fire in the sky.

Hubs is working til 10, I still don't know whats for dinner but have 3 hours to figure something out. Maybe red velvet cupcakes at this rate.

IrishHeart Veteran

12.5 inches in 3 weeks... :blink:

Seriously? I would sign up for some. I could do with a little less of that ball of fire in the sky.

Hubs is working til 10, I still don't know whats for dinner but have 3 hours to figure something out. Maybe red velvet cupcakes at this rate.

you know you put this dinner idea on the garden thread, right, sweets?

(or maybe you did that on purpose, in which case, I should mind my own darn business ) ^_^

Love2 has done this before too and I think it is because we are all on both threads.

so...how were the cupcakes? please tell me in detail, because I am bored as it is raining again

and I am still taking this dopey med and I am one unhappy camper. 

My poor plants are all drooping. :(

Adalaide Mentor

12.5 inches in 3 weeks... :blink:

you know you put this dinner idea on the garden thread, right, sweets?

(or maybe you did that on purpose, in which case, I should mind my own darn business ) ^_^

Love2 has done this before too and I think it is because we are all on both threads.

so...how were the cupcakes? please tell me in detail, because I am bored as it is raining again

and I am still taking this dopey med and I am one unhappy camper. 

My poor plants are all drooping. :(

I've been migraining (is that a word?) for two days. I'm lucky I know what forum I'm on!

IrishHeart Veteran

I've  been migraining (is that a word?) 

it is now.

sorry babes. I hate  migraines. :(

Archived