Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Amtrak

Has anyone had success ordering off the menu in the dining car, while traveling on Amtrak? :unsure:  I was wondering if the meals are loaded pre-prepared, or can the kitchen offer some flexibility. The website indicates that they cannot offer gluten free dining.

I have a feeling that I will be packing a lunch.

I have ridden the Amtrak several times.  I would suggest packing your own lunch.  What I saw was mostly sandwiches and pizza and snacky type things.  

If you are going a very long distance, I think that those trains offer a different type of dining.  For a one day trip, I would for sure pack my food.

Follow up...

We had a great trip to DC, and the staff at Amtrak was great!  I was able to get a ceasar salad with plain grilled chicken with Paul Newman's Dressing (without croutons) in the dining car. (although, I did bring a sandwich).

It's so easy to bring your own food, too.

If possible, Amtrak is the way to go, with none of the headaches of flying.

Had a great trip!

I travel frequently on Amtrak. The lunch menu is not easy to eat from, but in my experience the staff will be extremely cooperative. I usually get a salad or burger ( bring my own bun). The dinner menu is more friendly, with steaks, etc. The menu changes seasonally and varies from train to train. I do carry emergency food, but have never had to use it. I love traveling by train, even when it means I have to drive a way to get to the route I want.