Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happyw5

Essential Oils Cross Reaction

I am starting to sell young living (essental oils) and I really want start using them in place of medications and lotions and such.  Just wondering if lemongrass and others would effect me.  Lemongrass comes from grass and wheat is associated with grass.  Am I wrong?  I know that the oils do go through the skin and they effect the cells within 20 minutes.  I am still learning about everything they do, and I guess I don't understand if they would effect me like wheat or gluten would.  Any info you have would be great.  Thanks

I'm confused.  I don't think there should be any problem with lemongrass or oils from plants that aren't wheat, rye or barley.

First - there is no real evidence of "cross-reactivity"

Second- gluten is too large a molecule to go thru the skin assuming they added gluten to it (but aren't you talking about just oil of a plant?)

third - not sure how you can get from Lemongrass to being a form of wheat?  I'm not a botanist, but where do you find info that says that lemongrass is closely "related" in the plant world to wheat?

I'm confused.  I don't think there should be any problem with lemongrass or oils from plants that aren't wheat, rye or barley.

First - there is no real evidence of "cross-reactivity"

Second- gluten is too large a molecule to go thru the skin assuming they added gluten to it (but aren't you talking about just oil of a plant?)

third - not sure how you can get from Lemongrass to being a form of wheat?  I'm not a botanist, but where do you find info that says that lemongrass is closely "related" in the plant world to wheat?

Lemongrass is from the botanical family - Gramineae (grasses) and I have read that wheat is from the grass family as well.  I am gluten intolerant, but I am also allergic to wheat.  I have an allergy to grass as well.  I know that gluten is not added to the oil.  I don't understand if consuming or putting on lemongrass would bother me. What I am saying is that they are both related to "grass".  I don't know much about cross-reactions. 

Lemongrass is from the botanical family - Gramineae (grasses) and I have read that wheat is from the grass family as well.  I am gluten intolerant, but I am also allergic to wheat.  I have an allergy to grass as well.  I know that gluten is not added to the oil.  I don't understand if consuming or putting on lemongrass would bother me. What I am saying is that they are both related to "grass".  I don't know much about cross-reactions. 

Allergic to grass is different.  I don't know if lemongrass is closely related to the kinds of grass you are allergic to so it might be a problem.  But its not a gluten/Celiac problem.