This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Please Help - Glutening

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I had been doing so well but unfortunately, something got me.  I am going through the GI stuff, joint pain, etc.  What lingers is the DH and low grade fevers.  I will run one for several weeks after a glutening.  Does anyone else get this and is it because of inflammation or just from having an autoimmune disease?  I have a friend with lupus and one with MS and they both run these fevers.  I asked my gastro and he didn't know.  He just told me to take Tylenol.  Go eat gluten free and take Tylenol.....Boy, do I wish it were that easy!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

josh052980 Enthusiast

How long have you been gluten-free?? In the early days I'd get a slight fever if I got glutened, but it seems to have stopped. I've been gluten free for a little over 2 years now. I found taking an Advil and a hot shower seemed to knock it back for me. I still get the joint pain part, but the low grade fever thing seems to have stopped a while ago.

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks Josh,  I've only been at this since January.  I was previously gluten free for about a year and a half and then a doc convinced me that it was all IBS.  I ate gluten for a few months all along thinking it was only IBS.  Went to another doc and had high liver enzymes which led me to the gastro and the official diagnosis.  - I guess I just have a lot of healing to do. The fevers just really wipe me out.

josh052980 Enthusiast

It hits us all different. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged; you're gonna get glutened here and there. You just have to find what gets your through it. For me it's what I told you, with some rest and relaxation thrown in and caffeine to give me the energy to get through it. If you need support, we're all here for you!

kareng Grand Master

Oh MO!  What did you get into, Young Lady!  :wacko:

I have no wisdom, just want to say "I hope you feel better soon!"

Open Original Shared Link

gatita Enthusiast

Awww, so sorry you have to go through this.....

I got glutened recently again too, it's no freaking fun!!! I had the fevers last fall but they seem to have gone after nine months gluten-free. I hope. So hopefully yours will subside soon. Gotta love the 'just take a Tylenol' advice. My GI's is 'just take an Immodium'!

Ciel121 Apprentice

Wow, I thought I was the only one who got the low grade fever. I've been gluten-free for 4 years, but for me it depends on how much gluten I ingest. I once went to a "gluten-free" restaurant--clearly that was a lie. I got the most excruciating pain. The migraine was so bad I wanted to go to the emergency room, pain was unbearable, of course bloating and nausea and the fever. I'm so scared to eat anything now because I know I'll be in so much pain. Sorry to hear that you're going through that. But I'm so amazed that being glutened can cause a fever. I wonder why. How is that connected with Lupus or MS? Hmmm...I have an appointment at the Celiac Center at Columbia University in June. I will be sure to ask these questions and will post when I know.

Stay safe. Double check ingredients and cross-contamination. :-D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cavernio Enthusiast

So I've been avoiding grain oils for fear of cc, and I've not been eating chips.  (Actually, not doign great after eating chips is part of the reason I'm doing this.) I found chips that are cooked in avocado oil. Of course I bought them! Afterall, even if they're not labelled gluten-free, they only have salt, potatoes, and avocado, all foods I eat quite a lot of.

Bah, of course I got sleepy and cold. I practically burned myself having a hot shower so long I made myself get out before the water started to get cold...it clicked for me that I had screwed up somehow, could easily be gluten cc on the chips as they also make flavoured ones, or maybe I just don't do well with deep fried things, some by-product of it or something.

Anyways, the long, near-scalding showers I go hand-in-hand with the flu-like feeling. Makes sense to me though. When you have a flu or bad cold, your immune system is also acting up. And I know there's been research showing that, for colds at least, the people who seem to have the most symptoms also show a more active immune system for the duration. So the idea is that it's not actually the virus that's making you feel so awful, but your immune system trying to get rid of it.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I have had a fever now and then when "something" was going on.

I've even noticed I get a fever from allergy attacks (before I figure out its allergies, not a flu, during allergy season).

I take a Tylenol, it helps. I eat and drink whatever sounds good (gluten-free, of course).

I also get DH outbreaks when I have a true virus. Ironically, that's how I figure out if it was a virus or allergies. Sad, but true.

Juanitahoy Rookie

Although I have not monitored it, I also get really cold when I am glutened. I also have an autoimmune condition (or two...). I have fibromyalgia and have been suffering from autoimmune hives since early December. Interesting... Next time I am unfortunate enough to be glutened I will take my temp.

I hope you feel better soon. So tired of "just take a Tylenol" type reactions. With my doc it's "take as much pepto and gas x as you need". Too bad I can't pour it over the DH I get on my face!! Ugh!

Archived