This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Gluten-Free, Over-Sleeping

GoBuckwheat

GoBuckwheat Newbie

Hey Everyone,

First, this forum is great :) Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge!

Second, I just started a gluten-free lifestyle (going on 3 weeks). Here are a list of symptoms that lead me to this change:

For the past two years:

Diahrrea (managed for 2 years with probiotic treatment. Never fully corrected, but managed).

Intense and painful gas.

bloating.

Brain fog.

Poor Performance on Balance Test.

Weak fingernails with pits (I was told this reflected poor absorbtion of nutrients).

For the past three months:

Migranes

More noticable brain fog.

Chronic Urticaria.

Once the Chronic Urticaria (hives) kicked in, and having seen 7 different doctors to no avail (they simply said "IBS" after I tested negative in a blood test and colonoscopy), I self-diagnosed some type of gluten intolerance (I notified my doctor before starting the diet) and began a 100% gluten-free diet. The Hives cleared up in 2 days, and I've taken 1 probiotic in 3 weeks and have had much more normal digestion than I ever had in the past 2 years (I had been taking 2 Probiotic Pearls a day for half a year, and before that 1 a day). I'm still learning which things to avoid (I've accidentally glutenated myself a couple of times...and Udi's products cause most of my symptoms to return), but on the whole my life is much improved on the diet.

One thing that I've noticed is that since starting the diet, I've needed a lot more sleep. It's fairly normal for me to sleep nearly 10 hours. One day I stayed home from work and slept almost 20 hours for that day (I was, however, on anti-histamines because the hives had returned thanks to a so-called "gluten-free" option at a local resturaunt).

So a few questions:

1) Does anyone have any tips on how to navigate going to the doctor? I've been pretty frustrated by their inability to put two and two together. Not to be offensive towards doctors, but I have seen 6 of them!

2) Has anyone else had this over-sleeping experience? I figure that my body is trying to heal itself and that's causing me to sleep so much. What are your thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yes, healing makes you sleepy. Allergies and glutenings don't help. It will lessen in time.

Keep personal copies of all lab reports. Keep a diary of symptoms or put them on a calendar.

If docs go in circles start cutting. Be honest with them and tell them they aren't working for you. No need to be rude, but it benefits no one if you don't speak up. Perhaps an integrative practice is better, or an ND. Good docs are rare but if you find one keep him/her.

Archived