This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Organic Multi-Vitamin Without Gluten, Dairy And Soy

powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I'm looking for suggestions regarding a new women's multi-vitamin that meets the following specs:

-no gluten, dairy and soy

-preferably organic

-nutrient dense

-only has to be taken once a day and can be taken on an empty stomach 

I am currently taking New Chapter Organics Women's Once Daily, but it contains soy, so I'd like to get away from that.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

so my current vitamin supply will run out soon, and I needed to find something new mainly without soy.

it took me awhile, but I finally found some vitamins that fit my criteria and are certified gluten-free, Megafood vitamins.  I went to Whole Foods yesterday, after researching online, and then went into see what they had at the store, and after reading plenty of labels finally settled on Megafood.  They are also vegetarian, tested free of pesticides and herbicides, soy free, dairy free, farm fresh (that sounds good, but I don't really think that means much) and non-GMO.  Since I am still working on improving my Vitamin D levels, I also bought the 2000 iu D3 tablet in addition to the Women's One Daily vitamin since it only has 400 iu of D.  This supplement also has a good amount of Vitamin K in it, which I need since I was deficient in that nutrient.  I get K retested in a few weeks.

does anyone know that with all the push on women and calcium, why do so few multis have adequate levels?  that one puzzles me  :wacko: is it so they companies can make more money off of you when you buy another supplement, or am I missing something?

Adalaide Mentor

Over and over again as I check for interactions between my medications and supplements I see that it says not to take anything containing calcium with anything else. It explains that the reason for this is because taking calcium with other medications or supplements can cause you not to absorb them. I've also seen on meds (I read everything about them I can before I even fill a prescription unless it is an emergency) that they say not to take them with milk. The exceptions to this off the top of my head are things known to cause stomach upset and ulcers.

So I think there are probably two reasons they don't add obscene amounts of calcium to a multi. First, a significant amount of people do drink milk or consume dairy or other calcium rich foods daily and simply don't need it. (I am one of these, I probably get way more calcium through my diet than is recommended.) Secondly, there is simply no point in taking a multi if it is loaded with calcium that will prevent you from absorbing any significant amount of it.

FYI: this is all from my memory of what I have found when I am researching my own meds and supplements. I recommend doing your own research and making sure you are using reputable websites.

thanks for the info!  makes sense now  :)

I've been reading from various sites, and here is what's on the Nature Made site:

We do not recommend taking calcium along with your multivitamin if your multi contains iron. The calcium may interfere with the iron's absorption. If you take an iron containing multivitamin with your breakfast meal, take your calcium with the other meals you consume throughout the day, such as lunch and dinner.

if I'm spending all this money on supplements, I want to be absorbing them the best I can!

Over and over again as I check for interactions between my medications and supplements I see that it says not to take anything containing calcium with anything else. It explains that the reason for this is because taking calcium with other medications or supplements can cause you not to absorb them. I've also seen on meds (I read everything about them I can before I even fill a prescription unless it is an emergency) that they say not to take them with milk. The exceptions to this off the top of my head are things known to cause stomach upset and ulcers.

So I think there are probably two reasons they don't add obscene amounts of calcium to a multi. First, a significant amount of people do drink milk or consume dairy or other calcium rich foods daily and simply don't need it. (I am one of these, I probably get way more calcium through my diet than is recommended.) Secondly, there is simply no point in taking a multi if it is loaded with calcium that will prevent you from absorbing any significant amount of it.

FYI: this is all from my memory of what I have found when I am researching my own meds and supplements. I recommend doing your own research and making sure you are using reputable websites.

momma bee Rookie

Yes, generally they recommend taking calcium one hour after almost any other meds as it interferes with many. So either one hour after or up four hours before other meds is often the recommendation.

It makes a significant difference in synthroid and thyroid meds for anyone on those!! So it is important for with other supplements but I wish would make more clear on the calcium itself as the pharmacist doesn't review it with you the way they do meds! And can make a huge difference!! I have made that mistake a few times I am sad to admit (think I would have learned the first time)!!

• 6 months later...
CyberCrone Newbie

Thanks for sharing your choice of brand because it gives me someplace to start and saves me a lot to time repeating the process you went through to arrive at a choice.  I trust someone else's personal experience more than marketing hype, sometimes even more than so-called "studies" that are so often poorly designed.

it took me awhile, but I finally found some vitamins that fit my criteria and are certified gluten-free, Megafood vitamins.  I went to Whole Foods yesterday, after researching online, and then went into see what they had at the store, and after reading plenty of labels finally settled on Megafood.  They are also vegetarian, tested free of pesticides and herbicides, soy free, dairy free, farm fresh (that sounds good, but I don't really think that means much) and non-GMO. 

Archived