Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

On 2/12/2018 at 7:58 PM, cyclinglady said:

Why?  None have tested over 20 ppm for McCormick spices per the Gluten Free Watchdog.  She gives an excellent explanation about spices and how much you would have to consume to even get a reaction.  You have to carefully read the entire report and she cautions that you can not compare 20 ppm found in cereals with 20 ppm with spices unless you are eating the entire spice jar at one sitting.  

https://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/gluten-free-watchdogs-report-on-the-gluten-contamination-of-spices/

I understand you might want to avoid all processed foods if you are a super sensitive celiac.   I thought I  was super sensitive.  Heck, even my antibodies refused to come down, but a recent biopsy showed a healed small intestine.  I do have chronic autoimmune gastritis and active Hashimoto’s which were most likely the cause of my GI issues that continue to plague me.  Unfortunately, gluten free is not helping my issues.  So, your issues might not be related to celiac disease, but to intolerances or an undiscovered autoimmune issue.  Just something to think about.  

I did not say I was having “issues", nor did I say I was reacting to McCormick. I use a few of their spices with no problems, but the ones I use weren't the ones which tested at higher ppm's. Some people react to amounts close to the 5 ppm so I was simply letting people know about Gluten Free Watchdog's findings so that they were aware. That is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CBB said:

I did not say I was having “issues", nor did I say I was reacting to McCormick. I use a few of their spices with no problems, but the ones I use weren't the ones which tested at higher ppm's. Some people react to amounts close to the 5 ppm so I was simply letting people know about Gluten Free Watchdog's findings so that they were aware. That is all.

I am sorry I was trying to be helpful (and maybe reach others who are concerned about McCormick spices).      I should not assume you have celiac disease,  are gluten intolerant or have any issues at all.  

I can advise that members review the Gluten Free Watchdog’s report on spices for themselves, because the measurable amount of  gluten in spices is not the same as in other products.  Her general spice information is made public.  Just follow the link.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Umm Spicely is one of the few I trust, and they tested negative after some asshat came here claiming gluten on them last time. I wasted my money and time Nima Testing my spicely organic spices. I use them as a gluten free chef, and baker.

I also have UC and I can tell you, anything but the smallest amounts of garlic, onions, or hot peppers will set off my UC. It HATES garlic and onions and I have to use them just slightly, spicy peppers it is picky some days it is alright with paprika in small amounts same with ancho, and tiny pinches of Cayenne other days even cumin might make it angery. It is a really picky disease, and you sort of have to stick to easy herbs on bad days for seasoning to appease the colon gods. PS Marshmallow Root, Aloe Vera inner filet juice, and Slippery Elm can be great so soothing the beast.

I am doing the family turkey this year with poultry seasoning, and butter flavored coconut oil, avoiding garlic, only using a 1/4 sweet onion and a celery butt on the inside, and for flavor injecting it with liquid smoke and putting bacon over it. My keto dressing this year with my UC also has the onion omitted, just using poultry herbs and a bit of celery sauteed and pulsed ina food processor.

I had to remove grains from my diet completely, fruits, sugars, carbs all caused my UC to flare up so they all had to go. I changed to a ketogenic diet.

What is UC? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2013 at 11:23 AM, Maxi said:

I'm glad many people use them without any problems. Just sharing my experience because I feel so much better since I stopped using them. I do tend to use a lot of spice in my cooking which could make a difference in my experience. Since I swtiched my spice line I've used the same amounts of spices without any problems. Also that is the only thing I changed. I'm sure it's not their whole line that was bothering me but I thought it was too complicated for me to eliminate each one. I did use some combined spices but I had problems when I used certain straight spices alone also. I'm not trying to brand them as unsafe, only sharing my experience in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

I have been wondering if spices have been bothering me.  I use Mc Cormicks, and I use a lot of spices in my cooking.  I also was seeming to feel worse any time I used their vanilla extract, but I am not sure yet. 

In that brand, Spicely, do you know if the garlic granulates are the same as minced garlic? 

I am thinking of stopping all spices (and actually stopping a lot of things) for a while, and then slowing adding things back, one at a time to see what is bothering me.  Including Mc Cormicks spices or spices in general.  It might not be Mc Cormicks, but I am going to have to experiment with a lot, including dairy, the soy in my supplements, garlic and onion in general, etc.  to see if I can find what works for me and what doesn't.  The past few weeks I feel glutened, yet I really can't find any source.  I've been very careful (but have been having McCormicks spices, dairy, the soy in my vitamins, etc).  But the past two weeks have been bad, and lost some more weight, and that tends to usually happen when I accidentally had gluten. Usually I can look back and find where the hidden source came from, but this time I am truly lost.  Unless it's my new hair spray??? Ugh!  Could breathing in enough of those fine mists or even if you open your mouth while spraying be a problem?  (Oh, isn't this a lot of fun? lol!)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Ulcerative Colitis
 

Oh, sorry to hear that.  It really is amazing how many digestive issues there are once you start learning about it all.  And now I am starting to hear more and more people struggling with one or more of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2013 at 5:25 AM, Maxi said:

Hi everyone,

 I just wanted to share this since I found very little posted on line about this. I was using McCormick spices and most people here feel they are safe. I was regularly getting mystery glutenized which was really frustrating because I generally cook all my food and could not figure out where it was coming from. I decided to swap out my entire spice rack for a gluten free version. I bought Spicely brand on amazon which is certified gluten-free and listed as made in a non shared facility. I also started mincing my own fresh garlic. I have to tell you that I feel 100% better!  I still use the Mccormick whole pepper corns and it's likely that only some of the Mccormick spices was causeing me a problem but it seemed too big of a task for me to eliminate one at a time. I tend to be very sensitive so I'm sure many people tolerate the McCormick ones without a problem but for anyone getting mystery glutenized at home I wanted to share this story since it's made such a big difference for me.

 

I have been using McCormic Original Taco seasoning forever & newly diagnosed Celiac with a gluten eating family I can't just throw away my kitchen (although there has been recent discussions of building a gluten-free kitchenette for me). I have been experiencing mild symptoms following taco night. I checked the ingredients on my McCormick Taco Seasoning & there's nothing suspect: "Spices (including chili pepper, paprika, oregano), onion, salt, potato starch, sugar, garlic & natural flavor. Processed in a facility that also processes dairy" safe, right? WRONG. I just grabbed my Nima tester & tested it "Gluten Found", I'm not crazy. They make a great gluten free version & it's not just so they can charge fad dieters more. McCormick Taco Seasoning Gluten Free is certified gluten free by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness & they carry it at my local Walmart.  McCormick also makes gluten-free Brown Gravy and Turkey  Gravy mix which are both very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last night for dinner I used McCormick spices on some grilled chicken and zucchini with a side a plain brown rice. No chance of cross contamination from cooking instruments. A half hour after eating that and a desert I started feeling sick. I figured the desert had cross contamination issues. Just had leftovers for lunch about 45 min (minus the desert) and am sick again. I was only diagnosed a month and a half ago so I’m still learning.  My spice blend used onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, dash cinnamon and dash clove. Any celiacs react to any of the spices beyond a gluten reason? Or could McCormick spices actually have a contamination issue? I don’t know how sensitive I am because it’s all new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, KCO5988 said:

So last night for dinner I used McCormick spices on some grilled chicken and zucchini with a side a plain brown rice. No chance of cross contamination from cooking instruments. A half hour after eating that and a desert I started feeling sick. I figured the desert had cross contamination issues. Just had leftovers for lunch about 45 min (minus the desert) and am sick again. I was only diagnosed a month and a half ago so I’m still learning.  My spice blend used onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, dash cinnamon and dash clove. Any celiacs react to any of the spices beyond a gluten reason? Or could McCormick spices actually have a contamination issue? I don’t know how sensitive I am because it’s all new.

I have seen some react back to garlic and onion....and spices in general...think of your damaged intestines like a carpet burn on your arm...do you want rub spices or alcohol on that? Considering you reaction is over and not lasting longer I would assume it is not gluten....most I know like me will get reactions to gluten lasting much longer, to some degree. Try the spices individually as a trial and error to see if it is the spices...you know cook a onion have a bit of it, try some minced fresh garlic in some eggs scrambled, then try with some black pepper the next day, paprika the next, perhaps a bone broth with cumin and oregano, and the cinnamon and clove can be tested in a hot tea.....see if any mixed by themselves bother you to figure out if you have a sensitivity to them.

Heck it could even the the Rice, either contaminated, or the starches via fermentation or a sensitivity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

I have seen some react back to garlic and onion....and spices in general...think of your damaged intestines like a carpet burn on your arm...do you want rub spices or alcohol on that? Considering you reaction is over and not lasting longer I would assume it is not gluten....most I know like me will get reactions to gluten lasting much longer, to some degree. Try the spices individually as a trial and error to see if it is the spices...you know cook a onion have a bit of it, try some minced fresh garlic in some eggs scrambled, then try with some black pepper the next day, paprika the next, perhaps a bone broth with cumin and oregano, and the cinnamon and clove can be tested in a hot tea.....see if any mixed by themselves bother you to figure out if you have a sensitivity to them.

Heck it could even the the Rice, either contaminated, or the starches via fermentation or a sensitivity.

 

Thanks the response! I'm fairly confident it's not the rice as I've been eating out of the same bag with no other reactions.  Your carpet analogy makes perfect sense though. I've been fine so far with minced garlic so maybe it's a potency issue or the onion/other spices.  I'll try them separately to get to the bottom of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything that I have heard (read) about autoimmune disease in general, suggests that any and all exposure is cumulative. Even if you don't feel a reaction, your body is still reacting, and your autoimmune system is still taking damage.

 So, if a processor says "same line that makes flour" and some test, any test, shows there sometimes is in fact some contamination...Isn't it really best to simply avoid those products, completely, unless you plan to literally test each bottle or batch of them? And with the price of some spices, I could see investing the $5/shot that a testing device will cost. But for the ones where there are alternative sources that are certified gluten-free, no cross contamination possible...Why not? Why not avoid adding incremental damage to your immune system, considering all the nasty things that can go wrong with it as you age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, Zooceliac said:

I dont think so, I would have to prepare it myself which does get pretty pricey. I make my geckos food, which does contain gluten, and its also a powder called Pangea, but I never seem to get pain from the dust. I've also used calcium dust but that doesn't give me pain either. I have no idea if there is a whole foods hamster diet. I think whole foods only sells dog and cat food. 

Pull out the capsule, let it develop. If you see 3 red stripes then gluten. 2 means no gluten. Red spices and sauce confuse the sensor early as they smear the strip all red before it develops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so frustrated that I never read this discussion before.  I would’ve tested all my McCormick spices sooner.  I had called the company when first diagnosed with Celiac and was reassured that all of their single spices were gluten free.  I trusted their word.  However, after testing them with my test kits, sooooo many of them are coming out positive for gluten!!!! Even their “gluten free” Chili Seasoning mix came out extremely high on the tester.  This explains so many of my family’s bad gluten reactions.  I switched to Spicely Organic (gluten-free) spice company.  I hope all Celiacs take control of their health and stop trusting companies’ words and start testing their foods.  It is a shame to think about all of the damage done to my family’s bodies by continuously getting glutened by McCormick’s spices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CeliacSunshine said:

I am so frustrated that I never read this discussion before.  I would’ve tested all my McCormick spices sooner.  I had called the company when first diagnosed with Celiac and was reassured that all of their single spices were gluten free.  I trusted their word.  However, after testing them with my test kits, sooooo many of them are coming out positive for gluten!!!! Even their “gluten free” Chili Seasoning mix came out extremely high on the tester.  This explains so many of my family’s bad gluten reactions.  I switched to Spicely Organic (gluten-free) spice company.  I hope all Celiacs take control of their health and stop trusting companies’ words and start testing their foods.  It is a shame to think about all of the damage done to my family’s bodies by continuously getting glutened by McCormick’s spices.

I have never had a problem with  McCormick spices. I have no idea what you used to test them or if you used it properly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...