This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dealing With Being Asymptomatic

DS29790bb

DS29790bb Rookie

I am a 19 year old celiac and have had it for five years. Prior to being diagnosed, I was asymptomatic. While a lot of people may consider me lucky for never having to deal with the crappy feeling of being "glutened," it does have its downsides. For example, I am never sure whether something I ate had gluten and sometimes, I feel I exhibit some symptoms of being "glutened" but am never sure.

Well, today I have been feeling terrible. I have seriously gone to the bathroom around ten times today not feeling well and am itchy and sweating a bit more and I feel hot. Of course, I am wondering if maybe I did somehow eat gluten and that is the cause or if it's just regular food poisoning or just a bad bout of something. And that's my issue......I never truly got a feel for how it feels to be contaminated so when I have stomach pains or something along those lines, I never am sure whether it could be gluten or something else.

So I guess I am asking......can someone give a summary of how they feel when they eat gluten? How do you differentiate this from something else?

PS: I know the symptoms are all over the web and I have looked many times at them and it just gets so confusing. I just thought personal help would be better for me to understand the actual symptoms of the disease, as I never truly "experienced" them knowingly ever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I am not very symptomatic...and that said my symptoms have changed multiple times over the past two years.

The only way I figured it out was that "it" happens more than once after eating out. And that's the ONLY time I feel "it". Then, I'm pretty sure it's gluten since that's the only thing I avoid.

I've gone from a headache in 2 hours to a ball in the belly, to stomach clenching at 24 hours (and continuing for 2 weeks) to bloated belly instantly.

It's irritating.

pretty in paleo Apprentice

I am a 19 year old celiac and have had it for five years. Prior to being diagnosed, I was asymptomatic. While a lot of people may consider me lucky for never having to deal with the crappy feeling of being "glutened," it does have its downsides. For example, I am never sure whether something I ate had gluten and sometimes, I feel I exhibit some symptoms of being "glutened" but am never sure.

Well, today I have been feeling terrible. I have seriously gone to the bathroom around ten times today not feeling well and am itchy and sweating a bit more and I feel hot. Of course, I am wondering if maybe I did somehow eat gluten and that is the cause or if it's just regular food poisoning or just a bad bout of something. And that's my issue......I never truly got a feel for how it feels to be contaminated so when I have stomach pains or something along those lines, I never am sure whether it could be gluten or something else.

So I guess I am asking......can someone give a summary of how they feel when they eat gluten? How do you differentiate this from something else?

PS: I know the symptoms are all over the web and I have looked many times at them and it just gets so confusing. I just thought personal help would be better for me to understand the actual symptoms of the disease, as I never truly "experienced" them knowingly ever.

I am also an asymptomatic Celiac. But while I was eating gluten before my dx I felt horrible all the time. I was afraid to go to the doctor because I thought I might have intestinal cancer. After a few months gluten free I realized I hardly had a reaction anymore. But I know I have celiac, I had every classic symptom plus complications that could not have been anything else, so I avoid it at all costs. Its hard to tell when I've eaten gluten, sometimes my feet and hands ache but even that might only last a couple minutes. Several times I have had random symptoms like itchy skin. By contrast, my other allergies involve hours of intense stomach cramps, nausea, or vomiting.

Archived