This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Glutened. Hoping For Some Insight.

ButtercupSarah

ButtercupSarah Rookie

I attended a bachellorette party last night and was definitely glutened. I believe it happened at the bar we attended as the friends house we started the evening at is also gluten free.

I drank vodka with oranje juice and cranberry....thinking it would be safe. Maybe I am more sensitive to gluten than I thought?

I read that some people react to vodka made with gluten grains and that some concentrated juices have gluten. Has anyone else experienced this? I emailed the bar to find out what sort of vodka was being served but haven't received a response yet.

I have only been on the diet for a little over a month, but when I do get it I have pretty obvious reactions. Horrible gluten brain and feeling like my body is glued to the bed, peripheral neuropathy etc.

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

i got glutened at a bar one time and it was because the bartenders were washing glasses at the bar in water that had (everything, i'm sure!) in it.  like using the same water for beer glasses, etc.  i always ask for a glass from the dishwasher if i can get one.  

IrishHeart Veteran

My guess is something other than vodka or juices "'got ya". I have never seen a juice with gluten in it.

Distilled alcohols are safe for celiacs. I have never reacted to an alcohol from a gluten-containing grain. I have pretty distinct symptoms if I accidentally ingest gluten.

There are people who feel that they don’t tolerate distilled alcohol from gluten grains, so they choose potato vodka instead.

Try it again another time. Your home, your glass, plain vodka and see what happens. Experimenting is the only way you'll ever know for sure.

Hope you feel better soon!

Gemini Experienced

If you have only been gluten-free for a month, that alone could be the reason you felt sick.  Alcohol is rough on the gut and hard liquor even worse. You may want to refrain from drinking any booze for a bit and give your gut a little more time to heal.  Ditto for juices....many are very acidic. 

Hope you feel better soon!

SensitiveMe Rookie

I use potato vodka when vodka is called for and in recipes such as vodka alla penne or making my own vanilla extract. I go to the liquor store and specifically ask for types of potato vodka they have. I use a brand called vesica which is triple distilled and imported from Poland. It is relatively inexpensive but some other brands of potato vodka are quite costly.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I got glutened in a bar once when all I had was ice water.  Have a look at how they wash the glasses and how the ice is stored.  I should mention that I am very sensitive so typical celiacs shouldn't have to worry about this.

Gemini Experienced

I got glutened in a bar once when all I had was ice water.  Have a look at how they wash the glasses and how the ice is stored.  I should mention that I am very sensitive so typical celiacs shouldn't have to worry about this.

Yeah...the bar owners must have stored the ice under the leaky box of Ritz crackers.  Good grief......  :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

It is possible to stay safe for everyone -- no matter sensitivity...it simply takes planning.  I am intolerant of a multitude of foods and have a severe problem regulating histamine so my body can't cool itself.

Yet....yesterday I spent the day at the zoo with Biology class -- in 90 degree heat -- impossible?  No...I carried a small hydrosize backpack with frozen water bottle, ice pack, umbrella and a couple bandanas to wet down when in need cooling...a bag of almonds and a chicken leg -- made it fine and some of my classemates borrowed the umbrella that they chuckled at when I first popped it outta my little pack.

I drink water and sometimes wine in every establishment I deem safe -- that would include the bars I have visited since gaining my life back.

ButtercupSarah Rookie

Thank you all for you advice!

I haven't had any problem with red wine and that is usually all I drink. It was a coyote ugly (so probably not super clean) but the glasses were plastic so I figured I was okay. The vodky i'm sure didn't help, I usually don't drink much liquor. We ate at a restaurant earlier that I usually have no problem with and they have a great gluten free menu...but it was prom night and the place was PACKED. I'll bet they were just less careful than usual and I probably got cross contaminated there.

It is possible to stay safe for everyone -- no matter sensitivity...it simply takes planning.  I am intolerant of a multitude of foods and have a severe problem regulating histamine so my body can't cool itself.

Yet....yesterday I spent the day at the zoo with Biology class -- in 90 degree heat -- impossible?  No...I carried a small hydrosize backpack with frozen water bottle, ice pack, umbrella and a couple bandanas to wet down when in need cooling...a bag of almonds and a chicken leg -- made it fine and some of my classemates borrowed the umbrella that they chuckled at when I first popped it outta my little pack.

I drink water and sometimes wine in every establishment I deem safe -- that would include the bars I have visited since gaining my life back.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was saying that it isn't possible to drink water in a bar.  I only had that problem one time.  They had the ice stored right under where they served up the draft beers.  I just meant that if you are sensitive you might want to check that out.

Kamma Explorer

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was saying that it isn't possible to drink water in a bar.  I only had that problem one time.  They had the ice stored right under where they served up the draft beers.  I just meant that if you are sensitive you might want to check that out.

Yeah, I could see that.  Pulling a draft beer there's always some spillage and it's totally conceivable that some could have spilled on the ice.  Thanks for the tip, dilettantesteph.

IrishHeart Veteran

Not to go too far off topic here, but having the Ice located right under the beer taps is poor planning. Those things leak constantly. (I know, my shoes stuck to the floor often enough while tending bar) Drainage and spills alone would suggest the ice NOT be placed under there, but also, ice must be open for bartenders to scoop for mixed beverages.  Having worked in bars, I can tell you, the likelihood of them being under the beer taps is very low.  The last thing you want in the ice is spilled anything--and definitely not a broken glass. (we had that happen during happy hour--not great to lose all that ice)

Maybe the bar Steph went to had this set up, but the traffic around the ice well is pretty heavy and if someone is standing there pulling a draft,'the other bartenders are going to be jockeying around trying to get at it. Makes no sense from a business perspective.

Not to go too far off topic here, but having the Ice located right under the beer taps is poor planning. Those things leak constantly. (I know, my shoes stuck to the floor often enough while tending bar) Drainage and spills alone would suggest the ice NOT be placed under there, but also, ice must be open for bartenders to scoop for mixed beverages.  Having worked in bars, I can tell you, the likelihood of them being under the beer taps is very low.  The last thing you want in the ice is spilled anything--and definitely not a broken glass. (we had that happen during happy hour--not great to lose all that ice)

Maybe the bar Steph went to had this set up, but the traffic around the ice well is pretty heavy and if someone is standing there pulling a draft,'the other bartenders are going to be jockeying around trying to get at it. Makes no sense from a business perspective.

This was a small bar with only one bartender so they didn't have the problem of heavy traffic.  I just wish that I had known that it might be a problem before it made me sick.

Archived