This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Panic Attack...help!

taynichaf

taynichaf Contributor

Im doing the gluten challenge for my endoscopy coming up in 10 days.... Now I don't know what is going on with my insurance!! I'm under my step dads, and then he got laid off, and now he just quit. No one else is trying to figure out my insurance issue so I'm calling the companies and they dont no whats going on... Omg i just cant stop crying and im hyperventalating... ughhhh please help me! how do i calm myself down!? This is making me a wreck and i dont even understand why.. help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taynichaf Contributor

Sorry... I just dont know who else to go to for help...

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

TAKE 10 Looooooong Sloooooow DEEP BREATHS. Keep taking slow, deep breaths, and focus on something that calms you; pet a dog, listen to music, etc.

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

Only think about the things you can control right now. Hugs honey. It will be ok, and you can work out the details AFTER this passes. ((HUGS))

cyclinglady Grand Master

Contact your Stepdad's Human Resource Department for assistance.  Being terminated (involuntary or voluntary) doesn't necessarily stop a person's health insurance for up to 30 days.  Then if the company is large enough, they are required by law to offer COBRA.  Your Stepdad will need to fill out all the COBRA paperwork with a specified time period and HR will give it to him.  I strongly suggest that he signs up for COBRA and in the meantime, he'll have to look for individual (vs company) plans for your family or find a job fast!  COBRA is expensive.  They charge the actual cost the company has been paying (but your Dad's probably been getting subsidized.)  

The health insurance company can't help you because they haven't  been notified by your Stepdad's company yet.  

Adalaide Mentor

I have never left a job that I had insurance at without having coverage for 30 days following. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just saying it has never happened to me. It was always my understanding that they have to give you time to find COBRA coverage.

ETA: I may go down in flames for saying this but here goes. If you doctor and the hospital has already done the preapprovals, you have the option to not say a word. If you are headed to college your safety may rely on this diagnosis. You can deal with the fallout after, mainly by applying for Medicaid because many hospitals will forgive bills for patients who have it and then all you have is your doctor bills. I'm not saying this is a good plan. I am saying it is better than not doing your endoscopy.

taynichaf Contributor

Ok thanks guys... the panic attack passed, but im sure it will come back... I called the insurance company and they said theyd have to take a few days to investigate :/ I called my dad crying and he said he would see if he could put me back on his insurance, but will it work within 10 days? I suppose it all varries but uuughhhhh... and it doesnt help that my moms all "and then what are you ganna do when the tests come back negative?!"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taynichaf Contributor

Ahhh i love my daddddd... I'm still crying... but i called him and he keeps on telling me he'll take care of it and either way ill have insurance by monday.. thanks again all<3

Archived