Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gluten-is-kryptonite

If You Get Glutened After Being Off Gluten For A Long Time - Is The Reaction More Severe?

I am a Celiac and eat a strict Gluten-Free diet. I went many months without even a stomach ache and then got cross contaminated or possibly straight up glutened. My reaction was more severe than it was in the past. More stomach pain, lasted longer, fatigue, brain fog all lasted over a week.

In other words do people find that their reaction becomes more or less severe to accidental "glutenings"?

Good question!

Before a few weeks ago, i would have said "I have symptoms for weeks!"

but I got "hit" accidentally recently and I have to say I was really surprised that it wasn't worse.

I had a few days of symptoms, but instead of knocking me hard for a few weeks (as has happened in the past), I recovered more quickly

than I thought I would (I was on vacation, so believe me, I was happy about that) 

I did take extra probiotics for the gastro stuff, drank a ton of water, took a few charcoal tabs for 24 hours

and some of those Glutenzyme tabs by Enzymedica my friend recommended.

I am not sure if they were part of the quick recovery (or a placebo  :D maybe?  or maybe I was in the tropics, so I was happier? LOL) but in any case, I was thrilled it wasn't worse.

Charcoal's purpose is to absorb whatever toxin, I've used them for a friends dog who drank bleach. You take charcoal in hopes of it absorbing some of the gluten.

I haven't been at this long but when I have been glutened it has effected me for a week and no less. I hope that will get better but I think that's just my reaction, it may also have to do with how much gluten you take in.