Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lizabsh

Normal Reaction To Accidental Ingestion

I was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago, and i've been gluten free since then. On the accidental gluten ingestion I throw up violenty with-in 1-2 hours, does this happen to anyone else?

I have been uneventfully gluten free for 6 months and recently had lunch in a restaurant which was very aware of celiac. That afternoon and early the next morning I had brisk yellow diarrhoea. Full recovery took a few days. Nobody else was affected and the managers worked out it might have been a reaction to wheat in Colman's English mustard used in a prawn cocktail dressing. Given that I had no obvious reaction to gluten other than anemia before the gluten-free diet perhaps experts could tell lizabsh  and me how sensitivity to gluten tends to develop on a strict gluten-free diet. Thanks!

I have been uneventfully gluten free for 6 months and recently had lunch in a restaurant which was very aware of celiac. That afternoon and early the next morning I had brisk yellow diarrhoea. Full recovery took a few days. Nobody else was affected and the managers worked out it might have been a reaction to wheat in Colman's English mustard used in a prawn cocktail dressing. Given that I had no obvious reaction to gluten other than anemia before the gluten-free diet perhaps experts could tell lizabsh  and me how sensitivity to gluten tends to develop on a strict gluten-free diet. Thanks!

If you want experts, you could email the Univ of Chicago Celiac center:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/contact-us

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-you-become-more-gluten-sensitive-over-time

Can you become more sensitive to gluten over time?

You may become more sensitive, or it will be more evident, when exposed to gluten after it has been absent from your diet for a length of time.

Thanks for the suggestion (and the quotes!). By experts I really meant celiacs whose busy lives occasionally lead to gluten contact. They are the ones with the experience! However I did immediately

email the Univ of Chicago Celiac Center and if they send a helpful reply I hope to post it.

I have only been glutened once in two years. (That's because I live alone and never eat at restaurants, and I read EVERY label, EVERY time I buy something.) The time I did get glutened I got so nauseous! I never got that way before going gluten-free, but I do now. I also had D which I never got in the pre-gluten-free days.

No reply from University of Chicago Celiac Center. There is a lot of information on the web but  I have still not been able find out what happens to gluten sensitivity over time on a strict gluten free diet. Somebody must have done some experiments on this because if sensitivity increases it would help in understanding new symptoms which appear after dieting.

I think I was last summer after two and a half months on the diet. My stool came out thin looking like a worm (it wasn't I was just tested)..and a ton of whitish mucus. It was very gross and I felt really woozy.

I have had a bad day,  I don't know if I cc'd or if it is withdrawel symptons.  I have only been gluten free for about 2 weeks,  today I had trouble with beeing realy tired a little nausaus , feeling out of it and a new rash on my throat.  Does anyone know if this is withdrawel?  I guess I have no way of judging seeing it has been such a short while since I was diagnosed.  Thank you.