Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wmramsel

When Drug Companies Don't Certify...

My pediatrician prescribed antibiotics for my daughter, but when I went to fill the prescription we couldn't find any allergy information on the packaging or package insert.  When we called the company, all they would say is that "to the best of their knowledge their azithromiacyn is gluten free" and that none of the ingredients are "derived from gluten/wheat/barley/rye."  They said they don't certify their medications because they don't test each batch.

Help??!!  Do you typically trust this response?  

Yes, I accept this response. It is standard. Other than specialty food manufacturers, companies don't test for gluten and thus will not make a gluten-free claim for legal reasons.

Yes, I accept this response. It is standard. Other than specialty food manufacturers, companies don't test for gluten and thus will not make a gluten-free claim for legal reasons.

Yes, I am an attorney so when I got their response I knew exactly why they were saying that.  I didn't know if I was running into a company that I need to avoid or if it is pretty industry standard.  Thank you!

There is a bill being introduced that would require the labeling of gluten in medications. I wish it were for ALL things in them (we deal with a long list of allergies as well and those aren't listed either!)  It's like a game of Russian roulette when giving my kid medications :(

FWIW, that is the usual answer we get from most drug manufacturers and have not had issues yet.  It sucks. Hang in there!