This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The New Celiac Drug Is Out There

gatita

Adalaide Mentor

Knowing you as I do now, I imagine it is similar to what I am thinking and it sounds like this:

dirty-language-smiley-emoticon.gif

This is fairly accurate. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
frieze Community Regular

LOL!

colorful!

rainbow_wall.gif

In this particular case you need a little more "blue".....lol

IrishHeart Veteran

In this particular case you need a little more "blue".....lol

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

cahill Collaborator

I'll pass. Why should I take a drug that will cost me money, force me to see a doctor, probably give me side effects, and may even cause real harm (anybody remember the hormone replacement therapy all the doctors wanted us on?), when I can stick to a gluten-free diet for free and with no harmful effects?

Exactly !

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

has anyone seen the Gluten Cutter digestive formula advertised yet?  I just saw a coupon for it on coupons.com however I will not be printing it...at least not anytime soon  :blink:

here's the site's intro:

"For most of people, the thought of eliminating gluten-containing foods from our diets seems unreasonable. Yet a growing number of people are realizing they are affected by the gluten in their favorite foods. 

Gluten Cutter™ is an effective digestive aid that helps to digest wheat, dairy and other grains.* Only Gluten Cutter™ is formulated with GCX50, an advanced proprietary blend of enzymes that specifically target and break down gluten to properly digest gluten-containing food.* Gluten Cutter™ can provide individuals with the freedom to enjoy the foods they love without having to deprive themselves or worry about the effects of gluten.* It may also be used by those looking to remain on a gluten-free diet. Simply take Gluten Cutter right before you begin eating gluten-containing food."

i like this in the FAQ section:

Q: Is Gluten Cutter intended for those with Celiac Disease?

A: It is recommended that those with Celiac Disease first consult with a doctor prior to using Gluten Cutter.

Open Original Shared Link

anyone have any ideas about this product?  i'm definitely severely skeptical  :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Q: Is Gluten Cutter intended for those with Celiac Disease?

A: It is recommended that those with Celiac Disease first consult with a doctor prior to using Gluten Cutter.

Open Original Shared Link

anyone have any ideas about this product?  i'm definitely severely skeptical  :)

As well you should be. <_< It's not a magic pill. 

Digestive enzymes are just that...enzymes.

They do not cure celiac..

They do not "wipe out" the gluten.

They will not protect you from damage and they will not protect you from feeling like crap.

Some people say they can take these special enzymes after an accidental glutening and their symptoms are lessened.

I tried some made by Enzymedica before I ate out **, but I do not know if they did a thing for me. I still felt like dog poo and had symptoms

for a few days. but I was on vacation and I rebounded rather quickly. It was probably because I am 2.5 years after DX but more likely because I was warm, happy and on a beach. :D

added info for clarity :)

kareng Grand Master

One problem with taking digestive enzymes after you have accidentally eaten gluten is that you usually don't know for a few hours or more. By then the gluten has been as digested as it will be and has moved on down.  I guess if you ate something and found out soon after - an enyzme that could dissolve the gluten protein might lessen the impact of the gluten.  But that assumes these enzymes can really "digest" gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

yes, agreed. :)

I was not very clear in my explanation, sorry. I took them before I ate out...."just in case". (as the fellow celiac who uses them suggested)

but I doubt they really did much.

Others say they take them "after" but I am not sure how this would work.

Denine Newbie

My daughter is 10.  She likes the gluten-free breads and baked goods now.  She never liked their wheat counterparts.  So, she is not feeling deprived.  The only thing that would be nice about a pill is to prevent CC.  Otherwise, we are good with the gluten-free diet.

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

I'll pass. Why should I take a drug that will cost me money, force me to see a doctor, probably give me side effects, and may even cause real harm (anybody remember the hormone replacement therapy all the doctors wanted us on?), when I can stick to a gluten-free diet for free and with no harmful effects?

I think I'd try it because I find it difficult to eat gluten free everywhere, travel, out for an evening, etc. I simply miss bread. I hate to be such a weenie, but for me, there's nothing like real bread. If the testing goes well, I'll be in line to try the drug.

bartfull Rising Star

ABQ, you're new here so I assume you're fairly new to gluten-free. After a while you won't miss bread at all because if you try some Canyon Bakehouse San Juan 7-grain, you'll see that it tastes BETTER than regular bread. Even my gluten eating friends agree. And if you learn to bake, you can make great tasting breads. (I admit, I have never done it, but I trust the word of others here who have.)

Out for an evening? I bring my own. Travel? There are grocery and health food stores just about everywhere. I bring a George Foreman grill and cook for myself.

I'm not trying to be critical, but I just don't trust drugs. They ALL have side effects, and the drug companies and FDA seem to be using us as guinea pigs when it comes to new drugs. Vioxx was supposed to be so wonderful until they found out it was killing people. Same with Celebrex. And what's the name of that drug Sally Field advertised? It was supposed to prevent osteoporosis, but then they found out that it was causing really nasty long breaks in women's thigh bones. The list goes on and on.

It's an individual choice, but for me, the only drug I take or ever want to take is Tylenol. Even with that, I try to go easy because it can cause liver damage.

Oh yeah, did I mention I am a bit paranoid? BUT - am I paranoid ENOUGH? :lol:

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Any product claiming to be a "cure" "vaccine" or "solution" to Celiac disease I look at with a great amount of scepticism, If someday a drug is developed and tried, tested and shown to actually work, then I'd be willing to give it a shot. But I would not put myself through a trial and take the risk of ruining my health. Also, I won't take drugs of any sort unless I actually need them (side effects, evil pharmaceuticals, costs, etc etc...). I hope the woman in the original article doesn't run into problems down the road with her "trial"

As for enzymes, allegedly there are some out there that help prevent or lessen the effects of cc. I have not tried these, so have no idea if they have any effect. I take digestive enzymes to help digest my usual meals, and it definitely helps keep things moving properly. It may help somewhat if I accidentally get glutened or soyed, or eat a small amount of dairy, but I still feel it.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I am NCGI, so it probably doesn't apply to me, but if it did...

It honestly wouldn't be something I would want now. I have a host of other food intolerances, uncovered since I went gluten-free. I now have a healthy, clean diet. I never would have got there if I hadn't been forced to, and if I could pop a pill and then eat all that junk I used to, it would be very hard not to. That is some addictive stuff.

I suspect I have added years to my life, and it is now so much better quality than it was.

gatita Enthusiast

Dang, turn my back for a minute and y'all are having party over here! :)

As an actual working journalist (with a specialty that is not science or medicine), I can only agree that science journalists, at least at newspapers, are an endangered species if not downright extinct. Haven't seen one in forever. In fact all of us newspaper journos are on our way out, but that's another story...

I agree with the majority here, wouldn't risk this drug for the most part... MAYBE once in a blue moon for traveling or some place where I might get CC'd and only IF there were few reported side effects. But even then, often we never know where we're gonna get CC'd. I just got glutented from a gluten-free frozen dinner

But mindwarp, you raise a really interesting question, would it even work in cases of NCGI? I have an official case of "they don't know what, except I can't eat wheat"  -- on my chart as "wheat allergy." I thought I read somewhere that at least one of the drugs in development somehow breaks down the gluten proteins (and not that it does anything to along the lines of raising the zombie villi LOL), so it seems that might affect NCGI folks too.

That Gluten Cutter thing is craaaaazy...

IrishHeart Veteran

Dang, turn my back for a minute and y'all are having party over here! :)

it's because Karen brought in the DJ :)

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

Hi Bart. I've only been gluten free for 8 months. I have to heartily disagree on the bread thing. I've been through every gluten-free bread imaginable, even dropping a lot of money at one of the most talked about gluten free bakeries in the country (Revolution in Santa Fe), and nothing - for me at least - comes close to regular bread. I appreciate your perspective, and I'm glad you found something you can enjoy, but I have not. And that's valid.

ABQ, you're new here so I assume you're fairly new to gluten-free. After a while you won't miss bread at all because if you try some Canyon Bakehouse San Juan 7-grain, you'll see that it tastes BETTER than regular bread. Even my gluten eating friends agree. And if you learn to bake, you can make great tasting breads. (I admit, I have never done it, but I trust the word of others here who have.)

Out for an evening? I bring my own. Travel? There are grocery and health food stores just about everywhere. I bring a George Foreman grill and cook for myself.

I'm not trying to be critical, but I just don't trust drugs. They ALL have side effects, and the drug companies and FDA seem to be using us as guinea pigs when it comes to new drugs. Vioxx was supposed to be so wonderful until they found out it was killing people. Same with Celebrex. And what's the name of that drug Sally Field advertised? It was supposed to prevent osteoporosis, but then they found out that it was causing really nasty long breaks in women's thigh bones. The list goes on and on.

It's an individual choice, but for me, the only drug I take or ever want to take is Tylenol. Even with that, I try to go easy because it can cause liver damage.

Oh yeah, did I mention I am a bit paranoid? BUT - am I paranoid ENOUGH? :lol:

cahill Collaborator

Bread ( gluteny or not ) is overrated

Meatballman Rookie

I would rather just continue a gluten free life style . I put my trust in doctors and big pharma. for many years . All they did was make me more sick . I'm skeptical when it comes to the relationship between dotors and drug companies . Are they really there  to help . FOLLOW THE MONEY .

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

I agree with what Meatballman wrote about big pharm and doctors.

I suspect when this drug or better ones comes out, the doctors will stop being in denial about Celiac 

and will get a good educational push from big Pharm to diagnose more people for Celiac.

That's what bugs me the most.

They don't listen to undiagnosed Celiac patients now but will listen to the pharmaceutical reps.

Meatballman Rookie

I suspect when this drug or better ones comes out, the doctors will stop being in denial about Celiac 

and will get a good educational push from big Pharm to diagnose more people for Celiac.

They don't listen to undiagnosed Celiac patients now but will listen to the pharmaceutical reps.

Hey, I know this is off topic . Maybe a bit personal but nice car . Is it yours ?

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

Off topic: to Meatballman,

Nope - I wish LOL.

gatita Enthusiast

Yep, that's how it will be. Even though the motivation is wrong, we can only hope that better diagnoses will save lives...

Adalaide Mentor

Yep, that's how it will be. Even though the motivation is wrong, we can only hope that better diagnoses will save lives...

We would like to think that... but instead it will lead to people just being diagnosed, prescribed a pill and making no life changes. They'll get sick from the pill, it will work half-assed at best with no diet changes and people will still drop like flies from celiac. I don't see this as a win at all.

cahill Collaborator

We would like to think that... but instead it will lead to people just being diagnosed, prescribed a pill and making no life changes. They'll get sick from the pill, it will work half-assed at best with no diet changes and people will still drop like flies from celiac. I don't see this as a win at all.

we see this with obesity. A "disease" that is treatable with diet and the pharmaceutical companys  are constantly coming up with new drugs to "treat" obesity.   And many people  buy and use those drugs rather than change their eating habits .

Sad that something so "treatable " ( with proper diet )  as obesity has become such a money maker for drug companys  My concerns is that celiac disease is the next  big money for the drug companys  with out regard to the overall health of the celiacs taking the drug .

Celiac disease is treatable with diet .

ABQ-Celiac Rookie

Bread ( gluteny or not ) is overrated

It's so funny how different we all are. After almost 9 months off from all dairy and gluten, the only thing that enters my dreams, the only thing I get physical cravings for - bread.

I can't imagine that I'll never enjoy bread again. It fills me with a really profound sadness. Pizza. Okay I can live. Bagels. I miss them but its okay. Donuts, all right.

But, a piece of white Mrs. Baird's bread? I miss the texture and the flavor and the flexibility of that so much. Every gluten-free sobstitute (sob...) I've tried has been just a crushing disappointment. The aftertaste. Oh god. I get a little nauseous even thinking about it. If incompletely burn a gluten-free piece if bread and slather it with some honey, I can pretend life is going on normally. Otherwise, I'm just tolerating things.

I hate that it is so for me, but this is what I've found to be the most depressing about my new diet.

Archived