Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renaye

Ordering Baked Potatoes At Restaurants

I have a friend that warned me to ask about how baked potatoes were cooked when you go to restaurants. Never thought too much about since at the time I was overwhelmed with figuring out my new diet. Two years later, I have been to two restaurants that deep fry their baked potatoes which is a source of gluten cross contamination. Who would have thought to ask??? Really???

Renaye

Can you provide any examples for this. In my experience, "baked" means baked in the oven. Deep fried is quite a different thing. (Even if so, it may not be a source of gluten.)

Hot oil would cook the outside quickly, but by the time the heat reached the middle of the spud, the outside would be seriously overcooked, IMO.

Um, no not hashbrowns. I didn't ask for details, but this is what the cook told me...We deep fry our "baked" potatoes and then put them in the oven to finish baking so it takes less time to cook. Then they put them in a warmer. I assume that they don't deep fry them long. I specifically asked at Cracker Barrel why I coudn't find the baked potato on the gluten-free menu and this was their response. The other place was a bar and grill.

Maybe this is why some baked potatoes pull away from the skin and taste so good. I can't get mine to come out of the oven like that??

FYI, you can never be too careful.

Renaye