Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dek38

How Accurate Are Celiac Blood Tests

Hi there,

I have been suffering from unresolved health issues for almost a year now, during which time I have lost around 20 pounds in weight.  All other things have been happening to my body, stomach pain, strange BM (Undigested food/oil droplets), strange urination, fatigue, reflux that is not helped by PPI's, tooth and gum problems, aches and pains, creaking joints to name a few.

I have had an extensive work-up regarding tests/scan (Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Abdominal and pelvic CT and ultrasounds, chest x-rays, urine analysis, loads of bloodwork plus other tests.

I visited a GI on Saturday, and he mentioned Celiac, he told me that the blood test was only 80% accurate and wants to do another Endoscopy and biopsy to check for Celiac.

As anyone been diagnosed with Celiac who had a negative blood test?  Also do the symptoms I have been having sound familiar?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what Celiac test they ran on me.  It was last may and it just said Celiac on the bloodwork sheet.  

I was eating at the time of the test and still am eating Gluten.

My plan is to try a Gluten free diet after my Biopsy, to see if I get better.  My symptoms are so varied and weird that it as to be something Autoimune (I think).  The reason i think the GI mentioned Celiac is because of my BM's (Undigested food, fat etc..)