This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Does It Take To Feel Better?

eblue

eblue Apprentice

Hey everyone. I am newly diagnosed. I have been off of gluten for 8 days now and can already tell a difference. I am by no means well yet, but compared to how I was feeling, I would say this is an improvement. Is it normal to start feeling relief that soon after going gluten free? I know that I will not be completely better for quite some time, and I know that my intestines still have a lot of healing to do. But as far as relief of my symptoms, I can already tell a difference. I am still having stomach cramps, bloating, etc, but it is deffiantely not as severe as what I was experienceing before being diagnosed. Is it normal to feel relief so soon? How long did it take you until you began to feel a difference?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
cyclinglady Grand Master

Seven weeks before I really felt much better.  Still working on anemia, etc.  That might take over a year.

nvsmom Community Regular

My GI symptoms improved within days, well some of them did. Many other symptoms improved over the next two or so months, and yet other symptoms are still being improved after 11 months. It is a very individual rate. I hope you are one of the lucky quick healers. Good luck!

Brandiwine Contributor

The first week I had great improvements, consistent stools no more diarrhea, less nausea, less pain. The first few weeks were like a roller coaster ride! I went through with drawls, I got very emotional and very sleepy wanted to sleep all of the time. Went through a period of thinking I would lose it if I didn't have some cake or a doughnut or biscuits or French bread like NOW!!! Lol but I got through and still improving :)

Archived