Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamie1450

2 Year Old Skin Rash (Diagnosed Celiac)

Yesterday morning my 2 year old woke up with a horrible rash on his lower back. He was pretty fussy and also woke up 2 or 3 times that night crying for me which is abnormal. The only thing I can think of is I gave him and his sister a shower the night before and used my conditioner on my daughter. He was on the other side of the shower but while rinsing it out her hair he moved over and it got on him. I check the bottle and sure enough it has wheat in it. :( It seems to really itch and be bothersome. He has a few dots on his tummy too. The only other time that I can remember him having a similar rash is when I used sunscreen on him a few weeks ago. The next day he woke up with a rash but it went away on it's own a few days later. I did not see any gluten ingredients on the packaging, but we tossed it just in case and I did the same with my conditioner. 

It is a possibility that the conditioner caused this? Does it even look like a rash having to do with Celiac? 

Thanks!

Here's a link to a photobucket album with pics.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/jmr1450/library/Rash%206-2-13?sort=3&page=1

Yes, it does resemble dh ~~~ it also could be any other kind of rash BUT if the conditioner had wheat in it then it's quite possible it's dh. ALSO, he's a 2 year old & stuff splatters around in the shower & it could have gotten on his lips & then he licks his lips. You see where I'm going with this? So you threw the conditioner away. Good! He could also have a skin allergy to wheat. One can have a wheat allergy in conjunction with celiac disease. So one can have BOTH. 

I will also say that celiacs tend to have allergies & skin conditions & sensitive skin. I can not use ANY sunscreen. It irritates my skin. I can not use makeup with wheat in it ~~~ My face itches like mad & I get puffy. It all stopped when I found out I had celiac & dh & got gluten-free makeup. I can not apply perfume to my neck ~~ I get "chicken skin" if I do. Behind the knees is fine, wrists are fine but not on the neck.

The medical texts say that if you have dh then you can still use products with wheat in it on your skin. Well, to that I say:

They don't have dh & I do. They don't know. They don't live with this crap. We with dh do! I react when I use wheat products on my skin. Plain & simple. So fooey on them!

(((((HUGS))))) to you & your boy.