Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2777

'spastic Colon' And Celiac?

When I was in my teens and early college days, I was finally diagnoses with 'spastic colon' for recurring pain just below my right breastbone.  The doctor that finally diagnosed it made the pain appear by pushing a spot in my lower abdomen (weird, right?) and prescribed a muscle relaxant for when the attacks occurred.   By my early 20s it pretty much went away and I thought no more about it.  Then, at 50, I was diagnosed with Celiac, after showing symptoms for maybe 5 years.

Are the two related?  Did I really have some sort of mild Celiac all those years?

Hi Nikki,

There is no way to know for sure at this point.  It doesn't sound like the doctor tested you for celiac disease back then.  It's certainly a possibility you had it then.  Mild is a matter of interpretation though.  People with celiac disease can have no obvious GI sympto0ms at all, and they celiac that "silent celiac".  That classification doesn't meant there is not damage being done, just that the GI symptoms are missing.

Nikki

I had Spastic colon diagnosis when I was 13. Was given bentyl. It never went away but did have periods where it was better. I then started with severe constipation after the birth of my children and then fatigue. Now I go to a rhuematologist and also wonder what would have happened with better early treatment. I don't have any definite diagnosis but am being treated for celiac and sjogrens. Do you still have IBS symptoms?

Renaye

When I was in my teens and early college days, I was finally diagnoses with 'spastic colon' for recurring pain just below my right breastbone.  The doctor that finally diagnosed it made the pain appear by pushing a spot in my lower abdomen (weird, right?) and prescribed a muscle relaxant for when the attacks occurred.   By my early 20s it pretty much went away and I thought no more about it.  Then, at 50, I was diagnosed with Celiac, after showing symptoms for maybe 5 years.

Are the two related?  Did I really have some sort of mild Celiac all those years?

Your story is close to mine.  Donnatol was prescribed to me  for years.  After 50, my symptoms kicked in and after two months of being housebound,  a GI made a diagnosis, after my biopsy.