Rate this topic

Anybody have any luck determining whether Cock Brand products are gluten free? I have tried emailing them a few times now but no answer as far as I can tell. I loved their curry pastes and sauces before I went gluten free and although the label does have an allergy warning section that does not mention wheat/gluten, I would rather hear more definitely from somebody. The ingredients label on the curry pastes contains the dreaded "spices" ingredient so I am reluctant. Would love to hear if anyone has had experience with this brand! Thanks :)

Why do you dread "spices?" Nothing made from a grain can hide there. "Seasonings" is a different animal, though.

Really? I always thought spices could mean nearly anything, and considering a lot of the individual spices I've looked at in the past (Clubhouse brand, for example) said some of their products may contain gluten I was weary. That is reassuring, thank you!

Really. The list of things that can be included in the ingredient "spices" covers many things, including herbs. But no grains or grain products.

Clubhouse is a McCormick brand sold in Canada. It has long been McCormick's policy to explicitly declare any gluten source on the label. In Canada, since August 4, 2012, ALL gluten sources must be explicitly declared on the label. There may still be some products in stores that were packaged under the old rules.

Unfortunately psawyer is completely wrong. Spices would also include spice mixtures, which may contain starch to prevent them from separating. In North America that would most of the time be corn starch, but in many other parts of the world, gluten containing wheat starch is cheaper. So yes, there is a very valid point in talking about a dreaded "spices" ingredient when it's about a safe celiac diet.

2 hours ago, Jörg said:

Unfortunately psawyer is completely wrong. Spices would also include spice mixtures, which may contain starch to prevent them from separating. In North America that would most of the time be corn starch, but in many other parts of the world, gluten containing wheat starch is cheaper. So yes, there is a very valid point in talking about a dreaded "spices" ingredient when it's about a safe celiac diet.

Hi Jorg,

Welcome tot he forum! :)

You may be right about wheat or even barley being used in some countries.  It is good to always check the rules on food ingredients in your own country.  The rules do vary quite a bit.  Peter was only talking about Canada in this case.  But some companies use different ingredients in different countries for the same food product.  So it is important to verify the ingredients in your own area.  Companies also sometimes change ingredients, so keeping an eye on ingredients is a good idea. 

FDA rules on spices:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.22
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=182.10

Grains can not be included. Section 101.22(a)(2) says, in part, "except for those substances which have been traditionally regarded as foods." That would cover grains.

1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

I just stick to Spicely Organics....all their spices/seasonings are certified gluten-free and free of additives.

Thank you for that information!  I'm super sensitive and trying to use whole foods plus a few certified gluten free items.  This really helps.

I  also love Spicely Organic Spices!  CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE and very, very good.  You can get them on amazon.com.  For me, it's simply not worth taking the chance with un-certified spices.  I've seen videos of how spices are gathered, transported, etc. in foreign countries.  Not worth chancing the possible cross-contamination IMHO.