Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notkuroda

Carageenan!

Hi all,

Haven't been to the forum in awhile, but some of you might remember my complete meltdown over my wife's constant contamination. Long story short, she had DH flareups for months, was completely exhausted, depressed, digestive issues, the whole 9. We did everything we could to make sure she wasn't getting contaminated, but this continued for months.

Finally I found a post somewhere on this board about Carageenan. After doing some research we found that it can cause Celiac symptoms in some patients. So we cut it out completely, amazing how many "gluten free" foods had this ingredient.

Happy to report, she hasn't had a flareup or any celiac symptoms since then. So I wanted to first of all say thank you for all the help and support, and second of all bring this to the top of the board in case others weren't aware. I hope it helps someone the way it helped her.

Carageenan is IODINE. I am very sensitive to freakin' carageenan. When I first went gluten-free and low iodine, an exposure would make me itch and break out. I have since normalized with my sensitivity to carageenan, but in the beginning while trying to get the dh to subside it was a horrid trigger.

I'm so pleased you found a solution. Understand it isn't just carageenan (though she may have an intolerance). It is probably IODINE sensitivity with the DH.

If she flares, start the low iodine diet immediately.

Best of luck to both of you!