This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Anyone Help Me Get Together A Shopping List?

RaeDawnMarie721

RaeDawnMarie721 Newbie

So, I'm planning on getting tested for celiac very shortly, and while I know I need to continue eating gluten until then, I would like some help making up a shopping list for some gluten-free essentials that I can go out and get after my result. I have no doubt that it will cone back positive in all honesty. What are some of your staples to keep on hand so that I don't find myself in a rut and get bored? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm not picky, and I love to cook.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

First of all, have you read the Newbie 101 thread? That will help you to avoid cross-contamination, plus a lot of other things. :)

Whole foods are gluten-free. Chicken, beef, pork, fish (as long as they aren't "processed". Potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits and veggies. Rice. Spices (but not all seasoning mixes). If you must buy processed foods such as salad dressings, look for Kraft. They label everything for gluten. ALL companies in the US have to label for wheat, but they don't for barley (or rye). Kraft does this voluntarily. I believe Con Agra still does this too, and some other companies.

It's best not to go whole hog on gluten-free substitutes at first. There are some pretty good gluten-free breads out there such as Udi's and Canyon Bakehouse, but they don't vitamin fortify their breads so you are essentially getting nothing but taste and empty calories with them. A lot of folks here make their own breads and baked goods out of various mixes of gluten-free flours. Check out the recipe section here and also the What's for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner threads for more ideas.

Keep in mind that you will have ups and downs. When you are first starting you will probably go through withdrawal for a couple or three weeks and feel lousy - headaches, moodiness, and constant hunger. That's normal. You also might find yourself getting glutening symptoms after eating something that shouldn't by rights bother you at all. (Plain baked sweet potatoes gave me almost instant D at first! Salads did too.) After a few months you will settle down and be able to eat without fear.

Read as much as you can here and you will see that everyone is different. Although you MAY develop intolerances to other foods such as soy, dairy, corn, or nightshades, not everyone does, and some who do manage to get them back with time.

Ask as many questions as come to mind and know that there is SOMEONE here who will most likely have a good answer for you.

Welcome, and I hope you feel better soon!

Archived