Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shorebird

Rash Flare Up?

I've been gluten free for over 5 years. Recently I've been getting what I think is a DH rash on my elbows. I used to get the same thing before going gluten-free but it cleared up...until now. My elbows have these tiny little red, terribly itchy bumps on them. I've had it for a couple of weeks. Could this be dh? Why would I be getting the rash now if I've been gluten-free for so long?

I don't know, other than a glutening. Many have reported a dh type rash after going gluten-free, then doing a challenge or getting glutened.

I'd look for sources of cc, or think back to your last glutening....

If you think it's dh, you may try a low iodine diet to see if it helps it go away. Most dh is iodine sensitive - and it sure contributes to mine worsening if it flares up. Try the thyca.org cookbook (online/free) for how to go low iodine.

There are other gluten related rashes, and other skin diseases are common in the autoimmune challenged.

I don't know, other than a glutening. Many have reported a dh type rash after going gluten-free, then doing a challenge or getting glutened.

I'd look for sources of cc, or think back to your last glutening....

If you think it's dh, you may try a low iodine diet to see if it helps it go away. Most dh is iodine sensitive - and it sure contributes to mine worsening if it flares up. Try the thyca.org cookbook (online/free) for how to go low iodine.

There are other gluten related rashes, and other skin diseases are common in the autoimmune challenged.

I really don't think it was a glutening incident. I almost always make my own food and when I don't I'm very careful about what I eat. I'm still not entirely sure if it's a dh rash or not. I may go to the derm if it doesn't go away. I'll look into the low iodine diet. Thanks.