This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dental Cleaning Products

durrsakja

durrsakja Contributor

I have my first dental cleaning appt since diagnosis coming up and am a little nervous about the products they use. Should I be worried about the polishes or anything else? I called and checked with the dentist already but I want to make sure I will be safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

There are many threads on this topic on the site and the majority of us have researched the products, talked with dentists and hygenists (mine looked them all up for me before I even asked) and we find it is not an issue.

Personally, I ask for plain pumice just because I am not a big fan of mint -flavored anything in dental cleaning products. Just me.

Happy Teeth Cleaning! 

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

not-available.gif

ear-to-ear-smiling-smiley-emoticon.gif

notme Experienced

I have my first dental cleaning appt since diagnosis coming up and am a little nervous about the products they use. Should I be worried about the polishes or anything else? I called and checked with the dentist already but I want to make sure I will be safe.

my dental tech <girl who cleans my teeth)  <can't spell heigenist higienist hiegenist (ugh) uses these little individual packets that fit into a ring on her hand.  when i asked about what was in it, she got the carton and it said in big letters:  GLUTEN FREE 

but first, they told me, "well, you're not going to eat it"  but it goes in your mouth and it's hard not to swallow a little of it!  good luck!

Gemini Experienced

Dental products are not a worry so relax!  I have had more dental work over the past 25 years than anyone.....root canals, fillings and now dental implants.  I think I have had every kind of dental product put in my mouth that there is.  Never had a gluten reaction and I am extremely sensitive.  I even went so far as to call dental product reps when I was first diagnosed 8 years ago and could not find anything which contained a gluten component so have your teeth cleaned and fixed and do not worry....you'll be fine!  :)   BTW....I still read labels and check everything but so far, good to go!

durrsakja Contributor

Thank you all so much! Can't help feeling anxious when doing new things :)

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I think I might have gotten gluten from the molding agent when they took the impression for my crown.  I'm not 100% positive since I didn't see the label for that one, but I had the weird rumblings in my stomach after that visit.  Other than that, no other gluten.  I have had multiple reactions to other chemical materials used in crowns and composite fillings, but the pain in my wallet seemed to be the worst  ^_^  i'm allergic to nickel, so I had to have a completely porcelain crown put it recently, and that was after I had an allergic reaction to the temporary crown bonding adhesive.  I have had way too many dental visits in the last year and a half  :wacko:  

here's a good article:

Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

It might vary by location, but my dentist says there is no gluten in any of the cleaning agents used in his practice. We are in the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada. That article is from 2008. I wonder whether the author wants to draw business to his practice. Just saying.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

always a possibility...

I wonder whether the author wants to draw business to his practice. Just saying.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

-This is coming from a super-sensitive view and I have other intolerances besides gluten.

I talked to a  hygienist about having sensitivities to the toothpastes dentists use.  She told me that using straight calcium carbonate was possible.  When I next went to the dentist for cleaning I asked for it. They cleaned my teeth.  I left with a headache.  I got home, the kids said, "Your face is all red, WHAT did you eat?"  I noticed my tummy had bloated.

I called the hygienist and she had used the normal little packets!  Next time, I must read the label for myself.  Next time, she promised to use the straight calcium carbonate.  We'll see if next time I don't react.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

So, was it gluten you reacted to in the little packets, or one of the other ingredients Diana?

notme Experienced

So, was it gluten you reacted to in the little packets, or one of the other ingredients Diana?

yes, inquiring minds want to know :)  was it gluten?  general concensus is that the dentist should not present a worry about being glutened.   if your dentist uses gluten, we are not going to him!!!  lolz

Gemini Experienced

yes, inquiring minds want to know :)  was it gluten?  general concensus is that the dentist should not present a worry about being glutened.   if your dentist uses gluten, we are not going to him!!!  lolz

You have a wicked sense of humor, arlene!  I like it! 

;)

notme Experienced

You have a wicked sense of humor, arlene!  I like it! 

;)

mleh, i watch alot of cartoons   ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

-This is coming from a super-sensitive view and I have other intolerances besides gluten.

I talked to a  hygienist about having sensitivities to the toothpastes dentists use.  She told me that using straight calcium carbonate was possible.  When I next went to the dentist for cleaning I asked for it. They cleaned my teeth.  I left with a headache.  I got home, the kids said, "Your face is all red, WHAT did you eat?"  I noticed my tummy had bloated.

I called the hygienist and she had used the normal little packets!  Next time, I must read the label for myself.  Next time, she promised to use the straight calcium carbonate.  We'll see if next time I don't react.

This does not necessarily mean "gluten", hon. The question posed by the OP was about gluten in cleaning products.

kareng Grand Master

The hygienists at my dentist checked everything for gluten and have the emails to prove it.  My dentist has no clue, but the real brains behind the man have it down.  None of the stuff they use has gluten. 

Is it possible to react because of another allergy?  Sure.  But the question was about gluten.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

To be clear, I   think I reacted to other ingredients.  I mentioned that I have other intolerances such as corn and many foods.  The paste  had Calcium carbonate, vegetable glycerin, and perhaps another ingredient.  It had no artificial flavors or colors.  I have reacted to glycerin in the past, so I guess that is most likely.  If one does have other intolerances, make sure to read the label.  The hygienist could not tell me how the source of the vegetable glycerin.

I also recommend that if you are sensitive to many things, to use the pumice or calcium carbonate alone.  I will do that next time.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Thanks Diana

That is much clearer, thank heavens it wasn't gluten.

Archived